Mottled Orp Project birds

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
This is Mo and his girls. I hope to get fertile eggs soon. I am testing some now in the bator.
013.jpg

011.jpg

OK, I am confused, MO is the Mottled Cochin, Right? Will he get more spots later on? How do you judge the mottling on them? I am anxious to know what to look for on the little Mot. babies outside.

Jaynie he actually had more white when he was younger. I He is about 9 months now. The white that was on the foot feathers has dissappeared. I have heard they get get more mottling after the first molt. Just some white on the head now. I am not experienced as you know with the mottled color yet. Still a work in progress and learning as I go. Jamie Matts is judge and shows and i trust he sent me what i ordered.

Last edited:
Generally mottled birds get whiter as they age. That is one way to judge the age of a bird with mottling. They shouldn't get less white.

I had assumed from your thread title that these were F1s bred together, in which case any mottling that appears would be leaky.

Julie, what did their chick down look like?

Generally mottled birds get whiter as they age. That is one way to judge the age of a bird with mottling. They shouldn't get less white.

Immature plumage on mo/mo birds frequently has a lot of white especially in the breast area, & largely black areas on the back. This usually changes as the adult plumage comes in. Though adult plumage does tends to have more white every year.
smile.png

Good luck with your project Julie. My boys got blacker too as the mature plumage is coming in. The girls look more evenly mottled now and were whiter in their early plumage as well. There are very few "growing" pics on the net for mottled birds. I've looked every where for comparison and nothing. Usually a few baby chick pics and then adults. That's it. I guess we'll learn as we go. I'm taking lots of pics to show mottling progression throughout their ages, so hopefully they'll be useful for someone. Best wishes. I love hearing your mottled progress.

Thanks Jody, I like hearing yours too. This Cochin had white on the chest at four months but it seems to have disappeared.
Here is his four month old photo. Amazing the changes. I am waiting to get some fertile eggs. I have one very black Orp girl in their that is sibling of BAMA.
004-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom