tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
Julie,

I have been studying, and just figuring the Black gene and Mottled gene I have some information. Now like I said this is just those 2 genes and others may play a roll in this. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong/off or just totally lost.

This is based on Roo and Hen both being Homozygous (both of their genes) for black. With no blue genes

Mottled Roo + Black Hen

50% will be homozygous for black and heterozygous (one gene) for mottled. (E/E Mo+/mo) (black chicks with mottle gene)

50% will be homozygous for black and Homozygous for non-mottled. (E/E Mo+/Mo+) (black chicks with no mottle gene)

They will be solid black chicks. These are the eggs that you are shipping out.

If WE (the recipients of the eggs) then breed brothers to sisters then we have the possibility of this. I have just figured on the chicks that have the mottled gene.

Black Roo + Black Hen (their genetics are E/E Mo+/mo)

Then the eggs will be...

25% will be homozygous for black and homozygous for mottled. (E/E mo/mo) (mottled chicks)

50% will be homozygous for black and heterozygous (one gene) for mottled. (E/E Mo+/mo) (black chicks with mottle gene)

25% will be homozygous for black and homozygous for non-mottled. (E/E Mo+/Mo+) (black chicks with no mottle gene)

At this point you could use all mottled chicks in your program or continue to go back to black.

Clear as mud? As for white orps it muddies the waters.

Since you have mother and son, then you should get 100% mottled chicks from that mating.

Thanks!

Trying to understand this myself so the mottled gene is recessive to the black gene so in order to get a mottled chick that breeds only mottled you would need to breed two mo/mo + mo/mo birds together. If you have one mo/mo then the other bird and the other only carried one copy of the gene E/mo (solid mottled carrier) you would get 50 mottled babies and 50 that were solid but carried one copy of the mottled gene. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom