Moulting for 3 months?

Coupon Cook

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I have a chicken who started moulting 3 months ago. She now has bare breasts that look sunburned and dry. Her stomach all the way around to her tail feathers have grown what looks to be 2 inch incomplete feathers. They are just spiky and sparse. Most of her flesh is bare.

I have 3 other chickens in the coop. They have not yet gone through their first moult. Although when I got them in December their wings had been clipped. The other 3 chickens have had their clipped wing feathers replaced with new longer feathers. Hers have not come in.

With the exception of being a little more chatty than the others she is behaving and eating just fine.

Any clue whats going on with her? are the incomplete spiky feathers painful for her?

Thanks so much

Those spikes are new feathers. They are called blood feathers at this point. They will open up and turn into beautiful new plumage.

Let me elaborate a bit more. What I mean to say is she seems to be stuck in this state. Is it normal to have blood feathers for 2 or more months? The feathers don't seem to be coming in any further than that.

Back
Top Bottom