Moulting in Southern Hemisphere...

KerryC

Songster
Sep 22, 2019
Queensland, Australia
G'day people

I have a question regarding moulting... I'm going into my 2nd year of having my Plymouth ladies and 1 had a moult late Autumn and the other not really. Anyway, as we have entered Spring here in Australia, should I expect them to have another moult to lose their winter warmers?

TIA :-D

G'day people

I have a question regarding moulting... I'm going into my 2nd year of having my Plymouth ladies and 1 had a moult late Autumn and the other not really. Anyway, as we have entered Spring here in Australia, should I expect them to have another moult to lose their winter warmers?

TIA :-D
With some breeds and Plymouth Rocks may follow this, the adult chickens will begin replacing flight feathers on wings in a pairwise fashion shortly after the spring equinox. The process is usually not complete until after the fall equinox so feather replacement in adult wings takes about half of each year. The other parts of molt that are more obvious involving loss of tail feathers and body feathers gets underway around (American Games before and American Dominique after) the fall equinox and the process is complete by time of the winter solstice.

With some breeds and Plymouth Rocks may follow this, the adult chickens will begin replacing flight feathers on wings in a pairwise fashion shortly after the spring equinox. The process is usually not complete until after the fall equinox so feather replacement in adult wings takes about half of each year. The other parts of molt that are more obvious involving loss of tail feathers and body feathers gets underway around (American Games before and American Dominique after) the fall equinox and the process is complete by time of the winter solstice.

Wow, that's so interesting, thank you so much !

Back
Top Bottom