mouse breeding help

elsfieldchickens

Songster
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
Oxford,Oxfordshire,UK
i have two female mice one gave birth two days ago i haven't counted the pinkies yet the other 11 days ago she has 7.
they both live in the same tub and i was wondering if i could move the mum and older baby's into a larger tank so the new baby's have more room

You should be able to if the mom has a good relationship with you and trusts you. Most mice aren't too picky about the Human sent on their babies. Wait for the mom to leave the nest then put her in a seperate tub. Then you can take the babies, make sure you don't get them mixed up with the other ones, and put them in the tub you would like to move them to. Now you can take the mother from her temporary place and put her safely with the babies. I'm not 100 percent sure but you can always try. If she did reject them, maybe the othet mom will foster but she most likely won't reject them after your touch.
Best wishes - Hannah

I was just thinking that the older litter should have their eyes open and be moving around a bit at 11 days old.

It's been decades since I raised mice, but moving at this age shouldn't be a issue. I'd move some bedding so the new place has a familiar smell, but if this mouse is used to your handling, she will probably be fine with the move.

Not a very good pick but theese are them 3 days ago will post recent pics

Back
Top Bottom