1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mouth open, no sound??? Is this normal??? Chick is 2 days old

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4CrazyGirlz, Dec 16, 2009.

1. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    I saw the weirdest thing today with my 2 day old chicks. One of them kept opening its mouth like it was trying to crow or something, but no sound was coming out. Is this normal?? What was it trying to do? Is it possibly a rooster that is trying to crow but is too young? Has anyone else seen this?

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    How long was it's mouth open? It could've just been yawning.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Erm, I've seen it, but it normally doesn't bode good things, at least that I've seen.

Could it be to hot?

Is it panting, or just open? <The above is in reference to panting>

4. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    No, not panting. I guess it could have been a yawn....didn't realize chickens yawned. LOL! It happened several times in a row when I was watching today. Neither of the two seemed to be stressed at all. Everyone is eating and drinking well, and the temp is perfect. It just looked so odd! Maybe it was a yawn [​IMG]

5. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Could have been adjusting its crop? My birds do that when the are eating, or just shorly there after...kinda open up and stretch out their necks to get every thing situated. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by