move broody and eggs/chicks

Country Squire

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Texas Hill Country
Hi. I need some newbie advice: Yesterday, I put 12 fertilized Swedish Flower Hen eggs that I bought from a nice lady in SE Texas under my broody cuckoo maran. They are all marked with a dot on the end. She is in a nesting box in my coop @ 3 feet off the ground. There are five other nesting boxes, all with golf balls in them. I have had some trouble with the other chickens climbing into her box to lay, but they didn't do it yesterday after I gave her the eggs.

I have a separate brooding hutch/run adjacent to the main coop and run, but the seller advised against moving the maran to the hutch for fear it could break her broodiness.

So, my question is: How soon after the chicks hatch should I move the maran and chicks to the brooding hutch? Or should I do something else before then (i.e., risk breaking her broodiness and move her now to prevent eggs from getting broken by other chickens laying in the box)? If I wait until the chicks hatch, do I move the maran first, and then the chicks, or vice versa.

Thank you!

P.S. My australorp is broody, too, and I initially put six of the SFH eggs under her. Then, I noticed that she wasn't even sitting on all the eggs; one was in the corner of the box behind her, and one was in front of her. She also doesn't screech when I reach under her, So, I placed the six eggs in front of the maran (to her protesting screech), and after doing a double-take, she quickly beaked them underneath her, adjusted the clutch, and settled over all the eggs. Good move or not?

I would move her and her clutch to the separate coop. That's the way I've always done it. It shouldn't break her, but she may walk around and explore a bit. It's best to do it at night, to reduce stress. Moving them makes sure all the babies will be safe, and so the other hens don't keep shoving her around in her nest box. And it just lets her be a momma in peace.
smile.png
Oh, and the number of eggs you put under a bird, has to do with the size of the bird. If all the eggs are all completely covered, then you should be fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom