Move from the incubator? Please help!

Jul 5, 2021
The chick hatched more then 24 hours ago, but the chicken is not completely dried and fluffy. She is very active however. Should I move her? Is it okay for her health?
A2F1F56A-1CE0-411D-945B-7774F42A1FBA.jpeg

You should at least leave it in there until it’s fully dry, but a chick can remain in the incubator for 2-3 days without food/water because it has absorbed nutrients from the yolk.

Leaving it in the there will reduce the chance of you shrink wrapping your other hatching chicks.

The chick hatched more then 24 hours ago, but the chicken is not completely dried and fluffy. She is very active however. Should I move her? Is it okay for her health? View attachment 2749092
I would move it to a brooder with heat and food and water. The humidity in incubator is not letting it dry out fully. I like to get them to food and water as soon as I can. As long as your fast at taking it out there shouldn't be any problem.

It looks dry but a bit sticky. It can remain in the incubator for 48-72 hours after hatching, but I won't leave a chick in the incubator for more than 48 hours without any reason. If the humidity in the incubator allows it (so it's not too low and it's not too hard to raise it) I'd quickly pick the chick and put it in a brooder (just make sure there are no zippers)
During the hatchings I set the humidity a little higher so I can open the incubator and take out the chicks as soon as they're dry. Never had a problem so far.

Back
Top Bottom