Move hen on eggs?

Mar 22, 2022
I hatched my first chicks last Easter. I used eggs from my girls.
I gathered the eggs that my bird was sitting on and put them in a wash pan. When it got closer to hatch day I put her in smaller dog kennel and put it outside of the coop in the run. When chicks were older I added a wire fence to keep the chicks and older hens apart.
They moved into the flock and started free-ranging with rest of birds. It worked.
When I was asking about hatching eggs this year the lady at the co-op said to just let the chicks hatch in coop. I guess I thought because my coop is raised, they would fall out. Also the coop is a small one and I don’t want to crowd the birds.
This year I bought eggs on ebay. The seller mailed them March 25th and I put them under my hen on the 29th. I added fresh wood chips to coop last week, but I’m still worried that I should put together small kennel to finish hatching. I have picture of the run part of coop. Should I leave her be, or should I move her to smaller cage?
A3D6EF4F-3AC9-443A-BBFB-521521FB33B5.jpeg

I'd leave her be until the chicks hatch if the flock is not bothering her. Sometimes moving a setting hen causes them to break broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom