move to coop

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
My Chicks just turned a full 4 weeks old today. do you think it would be OK to transfer them from the brooder to the coop without heat now? last nights temp dropped down to 34 degrees. or should I keep them in the brooder under heat longer.

thank you

It may be an idea to wean them off the heat source, whilst in the brooder, before setting them in the coop. At the same time, taking them outdoors for increasing periods of time will also help the adjustment to the cooler temperatures.

If you have power in your coop, then another option would be to move them, but set up heat source as described here may be worth considering - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

As CT Ken has said..
Your Chicks are fully feathered by now so they can take colder temps..If no power to the Coop? Leave them out all day in the coop and run area and bring them in at night without the heat lamp on inside the brooder...They will be ready after a week to stay out full time...

Cheers!

they are in my garage ( unheated ), I started to turn the heat lamp off during the day and I put it back on at night. I also been putting them out in the run for a little while during the day.
If you have been doing that? Then today should be moving day for the Birds..Time for them to get out and learn to be a Chicken..
They will be fine..

Best of luck..

Cheers!

they are in my garage ( unheated ), I started to turn the heat lamp off during the day and I put it back on at night. I also been putting them out in the run for a little while during the day.
You might consider making them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Back
Top Bottom