Move to coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigbluetrk17, May 9, 2009.

1. bigbluetrk17

bigbluetrk17 New Egg

May 9, 2009
    My chicks were 3 weeks old thursday (5/7). When can I move them to the coop w/a 100 w heater/bulb?

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    http://lisahaschickens.wordpress.com/

I
    gave you a link to a gal from this site that put her chicks out at 2 wk with success. (LOVE her updates as well).

I didn't put mine out until they were six wks old because I didn't have their coop ready and I had them in a HUGE stock tank with plenty of room in my sunroom.

I would just make sure the 100 watt is warm enough to keep your chicks warm at night.

Here in the Pacific NW, we had frost last night.

Good luck and show us some pics.

3. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Quote:Well first of all where do you live and whats the weather like im in florida and if mine were 3 weeks old i would feel comfortable putting them out in the coop because its hot already. I put mine out at about 6 weeks they are usually fully feathered by then. I to used a red heat light in the coop for the first week at night to give them some light also provide a little heat it was still in the upper 50s low 60s at night then. good luck

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, it would help to know where you live. Mine were brooded outside with heat lamps from day one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by