Move to the coop!?

JFF12

Chirping
Sep 4, 2022
My buffs are a little over 4 weeks now. I haven’t lost a single one since I got them in the mail!…kinda proud about that. Anyway, when is a good time to move them outside at this time of year? I live in East Tennessee and right not the temp has been been mid 40’s/low 50’s to mid 70’s/low 80’s. These little boogers are currently in a 4x8 brooder with 18” walls. If I didn’t have the hardware cloth on the top they would be out! They’re constantly running, “flying”, and play fighting. I think they have plenty of room now (13 birds in a 4x8) but the coop and run is going to be so much bigger. I feel like they’d love to be out there, given how active they are. If I move them in the next week or so should I put a lamp out there? Someone with experience point me in the right direction please. This is my first flock, but definitely not my last!

Attachments

• 06C09D4A-CA4E-4DB0-B70A-7DCC90D0A88F.jpeg
    06C09D4A-CA4E-4DB0-B70A-7DCC90D0A88F.jpeg
    836.9 KB · Views: 6
If I move them in the next week or so should I put a lamp out there?

By lamp you mean a heat lamp, right? If the coop is big enough, so the lamp does not make the whole space too hot, that would be the easiest thing. Just be sure it is safely secured so you don't start a fire, and put it in one corner so they have lots of space to get away from the heat. Check them after dark and again first thing in the morning, and if they are all sleeping away from the heat you can remove it.

when is a good time to move them outside at this time of year? I live in East Tennessee and right not the temp has been been mid 40’s/low 50’s to mid 70’s/low 80’s.
It often works well to brood chicks in the coop from their very first day, so yours are definitely old enough.

At their age, and with those outdoor temperatures, they should not need heat during the day. They might need heat at night for another week or so, or they might be fine without it already.

In the photo, it looks like you might have a red heat lamp bulb. Usually, the first step is the remove their heat source while they are still in the brooder and see if they are fine without it, then a few days later move them outside. Or it works equally well to move the heat source outside with them, and then remove it when you see they no longer need it.

Whether they are in a brooder indoors, or out in the coop, it is always important to have a cool area where they can get away from the heat. That prevents overheating, and lets them adjust to cooler temperatures at their own pace. It also makes your life easier, because you don't have to be picky about the exact temperature in the brooder. As long as one corner is warm enough, and a large area is cool, chicks do very well at moving around to regulate their own temperature.

These little boogers are currently in a 4x8 brooder with 18” walls. If I didn’t have the hardware cloth on the top they would be out! They’re constantly running, “flying”, and play fighting. I think they have plenty of room now (13 birds in a 4x8) but the coop and run is going to be so much bigger. I feel like they’d love to be out there, given how active they are.
Yes, they would love to have more space. The sooner you move them out, the happier they will be.

People often times, trying to keep them safe, keep them in too small of space. I would not wait, more space, means for more exercise, and more exercise means stronger birds.

At four weeks they do not need any additional heat.

I would put them in a box, carry the box out into the run, shutting it behind you. Then place the box on its side, so it makes a small hutch. They will more than likely stay very close to the box for some time. Don't worry, eventually they will get brave.

Make SURE that the box is set up to give shade, and you do need to keep an eye on them. You should not keep chickens warm or cold, but rather give chickens the option of getting out of the wind, or out into the sun, or out into the shade, and let them decide.

After a couple of hours, late afternoon, they will return to the box for a nap, wait until they do, and return to the brooder.

The next day, put them out a bit earlier, they will quickly become very active... but should return to the box at dark. This time, put the box inside the coop.

Next day, just open the door to the coop to the run. It may take a while, but they will get out eventually. Put the box in the run, so you can put them away easily. Next day, leave the box in the coop. Most will get back there IF your coop is near the ground. If it is a coop up in the air, then you may have to help them.

I have hope that your coop is large enough for 13 birds, it will need to be about 8x8. A problem newbies come into, is what is more than enough room for chicks, rapidly becomes not enough room for chickens. Being raised together has almost no impact on chicken behavior, and overcrowding causes a lot of very ugly behavior.

If you have the coop/run set up, I would get them out of there ASAP.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom