Moveable run.

another option is an A-Frame tractor on a pvc or wood frame.

Ours have minimal wood at this time - the base is 5x8'. The sides are made from cattle panel. 2 cattle panels will build 2 A-Frames (or 1 cattle panel will make one with some extra waste heavy metal rods to make sides even length). The top is joined by haystring. I cut and put holes in 2 ltr bottles to put along the top of the CP, then use a tarp to cover them. I've got a single roost (my breeding groups of birds live in these tractors all the time) and need to put in next boxes that don't sit on the ground (moving the tractors causes the nest boxes to turn over otherwise). We currently use 2x4" wire but have 1/2" HC to put on them for chicks and to prevent small predators from destroying our birds as these tractors get further away from the house.

Right now a bucket is used for water and their feed goes on the ground - aiding in them scratching the grass/sand to rejuvenate our pasture and yard. Working on bucket auto water & feeders that will fit in the A-Frames w/o taking too much space...

We have CP gates w/ 2x4" wire on them on both ends. They are hinged by attaching with 1-1/2" fence staples to the base and the top is closed with bungee cords. You don't need a gate on both ends - it would be even lighter if one end is just wired.

Currently, we have not yet attached any wheels. We can move them with a rope or even by gabbing the CP and pulling.

So far our tractors seem to do well with up to 5 hens and 1 rooster in them. More than that is too many birds, even when moved daily, IMO, for us. The tractor pictured below currently has 3 hens and 1 rooster in it. 2 of them have 4 hens & 1 roo; 1 has 5 hens and 1 roo. Currently have 4 of these tractors w/ 2 more now being built. And the one in the picture below was left in the same place too long, IMO. Needs to be moved every third day w/ just two birds or more often with more birds.

20200123_173836.jpg 200131_102348.jpg 200131_102357.jpg

We also have some other tractors of different designs.

We do have a square tractor w/ PVC frame. Our daughter started it for use with her rabbits & never finished it. I finished it last summer and put it into use. It has not held up well and is of a poor design for use with chickens... The PVC itself is good sized and has not broken. But it wasn't all glued together (I didn't catch that before adding the rest of the wire) and the hinged door often pulls apart - quite a PITA. The frame is too tall - you can't easily reach down and pick up chickes, a waterer or feeder (I would pick it up during the summer days and granddaughters would reach under and grab what needed. That quickly got old and you do need 2 people to do it). Chicks figured it out in a hurry and would often escape. I want to cut it in 1/2 and build only a partial hinged top - will create two structures. Think it will work fine then, LOL. And this size is, amazingly, NOT light to move around at all. It is awkward also with it being square instead of being rectangular.

190614_190113a.jpg 190614_194257.jpg 190614_194317.jpg

Another option that might work well for you are puppy Xpens. They are panels (ours are 8) joined together to make a pen for ... puppies. Being an even number, they do not lend themselves well to being made rectangular (the way I use them) so they form a point on the end. I then attach them to a rabbit pen that is partially covered in loomed haystring panels w/ feed bags tucked underneath for weather protection. I have raised A LOT of chicks in these so far - the past two years. Not ideal yet, still tweaking. Want to try putting the whole thing on wood skids to see if easier to move. Lots of projects, haven't gotten to this one yet. We cover these with 2x4" wire right now, attached with haystring, could make a frame of wire that is hinged - again easier access.

20190202_151830.jpg 190623_103017.jpg 190721_193641.jpg

Just some different options for you.

Back
Top Bottom