Moved flock to new coop. Hens stopped laying. Roosters at war.

Hellinahelmet

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Georgia
So I finally broke down and built a halfway decent coop for the flock. All the bells and whistles are there, plenty of space, plenty of food / H2O, etc... Their old coop was one of my ghetto creations made from old shipping pallets and tin roofing. They basically moved from a shack into a nice clean house. Now that they're in the new coop they have stopped laying eggs. I went from close to 20 a day to 4 over the last three days. I'm sure the change of environment has a lot to do with this but I'm curious as to how long the decreased production should last and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. Also since the move my three RIR roosters have been at war with each other. They've never been aggressive before but now they all seem to want the others dead or gone. Thoughts?

If the drop in egg production coincides with the change in environment I would guess it probably has something to do with that, if there haven't been any other changes, (their feed, dramatic temp changes, etc.) . As for.the roosters perhaps the change messed with their pecking order. Do they have enough room in the new coop?

When I moved my clan to a new coop, it took about a week for production to return to normal. And yes, there will be a pecking order feud also, because you have new and different roosts in different spots. This should die down soon, too. Amazingly, moving coops seems to be a huge problem with chickens.

Their old coop was one of my ghetto creations made from old shipping pallets and tin roofing.
. Hahahaha. Same here!! Mine were in a shack and were subject to drive by predator attacks. Now nice clean roomy coop and 1 egg a day where before I was getting 5. They've been in there 2 weeks today and still not back up to production. :( Anybody know how long this typical lasts? Hellinahmet how long did that last for you?

Back
Top Bottom