Movement inside goose egg, day 23? Too early to hatch?

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Got movement in one of my goose eggs day 23….I know it’s too early. I stopped rotating them and put it on the side with the air sack up like the hatching guide recommended. Is it too soon to be expecting a hatch? I’m nervous something is wrong. The air sack looks ready already, too.

If it's a breed that would normally hatch in 28-30 days, it's too early unless temps have been too high during incubation (or count is off, eggs had begun incubation before being placed into incubator, etc). 🙂

Eggs can begin moving days before they actually pip. I typically lock down goose eggs about 5 days prior to hatch day (but don't raise humidity until external pip unless the air cells are too small).

Best wishes for a great hatch!

If it's a breed that would normally hatch in 28-30 days, it's too early unless temps have been too high during incubation (or count is off, eggs had begun incubation before being placed into incubator, etc). 🙂

Eggs can begin moving days before they actually pip. I typically lock down goose eggs about 5 days prior to hatch day (but don't raise humidity until external pip unless the air cells are too small).

Best wishes for a great hatch!
Ok. My temps were at the recommended 99 deg F. So I’m thinking not too high….
Should I continue to rotate the eggs assuming it’s too early? Or are they ok in the final hatch position for a while?

I would stop turning them now and let them continue to get into hatching position.

Remember that even after they pip, they usually take much longer to zip and hatch than chickens do.🐣
OMG! 😱🐣😱 the hatching process has begun!! Yesterday around 7-8pm eastern the eggs began rocking back and forth! Thankfully they are already in their final positions. So I was thinking about something you said about incubation starting before I put them in the incubator…I’m in Florida and our heat index has been around 100 every day for the last few months. These eggs were shipped to me…so you think the heat jump started the eggs? I didn’t even think something like that would happen but these eggs are definitely hatching. I’m hoping to hear cheeps from internal pipping today… 🙏🏽🙏🏽

That is exciting! :ya

Speculatively, it's possible that the temperatures during shipping could have begun the incubation process en route to you...it's also possible that the eggs may have begun incubating before they were shipped. It may be easier to draw conclusions when you have a hatch date, though.

Talk to them (if you're not already) so they know your voice and, often, they'll peep back.

FF715A4A-F822-4CA6-9262-23F19864858E.jpeg
EF560BC9-3996-4EC2-BBA5-D53AABDF971B.jpeg

hatched somewhere in between day 29 & 30 (today)
Woke up to the little peepers fully out of the shell and ready for the brooder! I went to bed around 9:30pm and they were still just slightly externally pipped. So they made super quick work of capping and hatching fully from the egg! I was a bit surprised how out of the egg they were! They were ready! Super happy and healthy little African babies 🥰🙏🏽

Still surprised at how early the eggs started rocking. Wonder if that’s part of them shifting into hatching positions.

Back
Top Bottom