Moving 2 from quarantine to coop because of cold?

EggyErin

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2011
N. Ga mountains
I have two Columbian Wyandotte hens who have been in quarantine for two weeks. They seem fine. Right now they're in my husband's shop, which is a large 3-sided shed. They are in the back in a two-cage suite with a tarp over the back for a hidey-hole. It's going to be about 12 degrees tonight and tomorrow night so I'm wondering if I should move their cage into the coop. The hens are protected from wind in the shop and I know chickens take cold well, but it's just two of them.
sad.png
What do you think?

how long were you going to keep them in quarantine? If you were going to keep them longer then in the coop can you still keep them segragated from the others?

deb

edited because My computer is doing wierd things

Last edited:
I had planned to keep them apart for another week. Once they're in the coop, I can keep them in a separate cage but not truly separated from the flock.

Well the usual thing you read here on BYC is to quarantine for a month and even then they might be asymptomatic carriers. I think though that if you are afraid for them and cannot put a light bulb safely near them for warmth (don't risk fire) that you would need to consider how many chickens you are quarantining them from.

Is it just one or two chickens in the coop? Or do you have a nice large flock with a lot to lose if they all get sick?

If you have a beautiful large flock I'd not risk it.

But for a very tiny flock...say one or two I'm usually of the opinion that quarantine is flexible as the stakes are lower (unless you are very attached to them).

One thing you can consider is to cover the cage with a blanket (of course leaving a nice ventilation hole(s) for them to get air) for added insulation. If you put this on top of your tarp it might not pick up too much dirt. That is what I'd do if you want to continue the quarantine. Also you can put hot water milk jugs in there for them to huddle next to. These don't last long though.

It is only getting down to 12 and they are in a sheltered area. I would just let them be and finish out the quarantine.

Well, good, because that's what I decided to do. I went to the shop earlier, turned on the light and the girls came out and drank, pecked at their food. Their covered hidey-hole was quite warm, as were they. I've got 10 other chickens. I could afford to lose the two roosters (baaad mom) but I'm pretty attached to my girls. Should be warmer by the end of the week so I think the two will be okay. Guess I'll find out in the morning! Thanks for the advice.

I agree, if they are protected from wind, they are fine where they are, 12* isn't that cold...trust me, it isn't...not where I live!

Back
Top Bottom