MOVING ... a broody hen at 15 days?

daps2000

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Horse Shoe/Mills River, NC
OOPS ... I've been doing a little reading and I'm sure there are other posts out there ... But, maybe my question is a little different?

I have a Welsummer that has been on a nest for 2 weeks. I want to move her to a small cage with a box for nesting. I'm sure I'm going to do it tonight but I'm not sure ... and a little scared. She is a first time broody hen for me ... and herself!
caf.gif
I hope she will be a good mommy? She started with 5 eggs and the one time I saw her jump off in the last 2 weeks ... I think I saw 10 eggs under her
hu.gif
. I'm afraid the chicks will get hurt ... since the box is about 2 feet off the ground ... and the hen shares the coop with 13 other hens and a roo!

Any suggestions would be great. Some questions...

Is it ok to move them at 2 weeks?
Anyone else have success moving the nest at this stage with a first time mom?

I would leave her where she is until the chicks hatch. She doesn't take them off the nest until the hatch is done and even if they do jump out after her, a short fall is soft bedding shouldn't hurt them. Have you seen the hatchery videos? They toss chicks down chutes! My point is, that you will have time to move her after the chicks are hatching. If you move her now, she may abandon the nest or try to go back to her old nest.

I use old cat litter buckets for nestboxes, so I've had good luck with moving broodies because I can pick up the nest, broody and eggs all in one fell swoop and it doesn't normally upset them. I have 4 broodies out in the barn right now - I'm running out of places to put them!
roll.png

If the other hens added eggs to the nest, she may have a staggered hatch. She won't sit longer than a day or two after the first chick hatches, so you would lose some eggs unless you get the late ones into an incubator.

Quote:
Well that is what my husband says to do ... but Some of the other hens ... well they might hurt the baby's ... I'm hoping she will be a good mommy since she has been so great up to now ... I do have the incubator up and running ... with about 18 eggs that should hatch about 2 days after hers ... my only worry is how she will be as a mommy ... protecting from the other hens ....
sad.png

Quote:
Well that is what my husband says to do ... but Some of the other hens ... well they might hurt the baby's ... I'm hoping she will be a good mommy since she has been so great up to now ... I do have the incubator up and running ... with about 18 eggs that should hatch about 2 days after hers ... my only worry is how she will be as a mommy ... protecting from the other hens ....
sad.png

I would try to move her in that window of time between the eggs hatching and her getting up with them to show them food. I agree with you - I prefer to keep mama and babies seperated for the first few weeks - it just stresses the mama out to have to protect them from so many hens and it's so easy for the chicks to get stepped on and seriously hurt.

Quote:
ok ... I went out there to move her ... and she we sleeping so peaceful with her head tucked under her wing ... I just couldn't do it ... So If I have the dates right ... I should have hatching starting Friday or Saturday ... I'll give the floor a little cleaning Mid week ... and watch closely ... thank you

Quote:
was she a first timer? What kind is she ...?

yup, first timer. she's an EE.
she was moved to a different pen, in a totally different area, into a doggie igloo (was previously in a tiny nest box) with different bedding and everything.

anyways, goodluck! I hope you have a great hatch.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom