Moving a flock of hens...advice please

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Hello all,

I am moving from Santa Rosa California to Nampa Idaho. It is a 10 hour car trip.

I have 5 hens about 5 years old. All healthy and laying.

i am worried this long trip will be too stressful for the girls. What is your opinion? Re-home or move them?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

If you move them across state lines - you need to contact the state about the laws to do so.

However, you are asking for advice - change is hard on chickens, and a new place and probably a new climate might be very hard. I think it would be better to leave them instead of moving them.

But you can move them, but if you decide to do so, please do it legally.

MRs K

If you move them across state lines - you need to contact the state about the laws to do so.

However, you are asking for advice - change is hard on chickens, and a new place and probably a new climate might be very hard. I think it would be better to leave them instead of moving them.

But you can move them, but if you decide to do so, please do it legally.

MRs K
Thank you for the counsel. I actually didn't even think about the legality.

If you are in the Newcastle Disease quarantine area, they can't be moved, and likely your coop equipment is an issue too. Check with your veterinarian, or the state veterinary department, or USDA for advice. Then the Idaho state requirements. There will likely be testing that needs to be done, so give plenty of time for all that, and health certificates, or whatever.
Five birds will travel in dog crates just fine, but not in hot weather!
leaving them in California does make sense...
Mary

If I were you, put them in (a) dog crate(s) and throw blankets on top to make it dark. Make sure your legal, then move them. Keep them in the new coop for 3-5 days, or longer if needed. Put mirrors, hang cabbage, make them happy, put a bowl with sand and make a dust bathe. Try to make them as happy as you can. Best of luck!

I'd use shavings in the crates if they are in the back of a truck, or old towels if the crates are in a vehicle with you, and add some scratch or something yummy to work on while traveling. you can water them at rest stops, but don't loose any! Opening cages won't be all that safe if the vehicle doors are also open!
Mary

If you are in the Newcastle Disease quarantine area, they can't be moved, and likely your coop equipment is an issue too. Check with your veterinarian, or the state veterinary department, or USDA for advice. Then the Idaho state requirements. There will likely be testing that needs to be done, so give plenty of time for all that, and health certificates, or whatever.
Five birds will travel in dog crates just fine, but not in hot weather!
leaving them in California does make sense...
Mary
Thank you Mary.

I'd use shavings in the crates if they are in the back of a truck, or old towels if the crates are in a vehicle with you, and add some scratch or something yummy to work on while traveling. you can water them at rest stops, but don't loose any! Opening cages won't be all that safe if the vehicle doors are also open!
Mary
Good advice. Thank you Folly.

If I were you, put them in (a) dog crate(s) and throw blankets on top to make it dark. Make sure your legal, then move them. Keep them in the new coop for 3-5 days, or longer if needed. Put mirrors, hang cabbage, make them happy, put a bowl with sand and make a dust bathe. Try to make them as happy as you can. Best of luck!
Thank you. Great ideas.

Hello all,

I am moving from Santa Rosa California to Nampa Idaho. It is a 10 hour car trip.

I have 5 hens about 5 years old. All healthy and laying.

i am worried this long trip will be too stressful for the girls. What is your opinion? Re-home or move them?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you.
And now I own your girls!

Back
Top Bottom