Moving a free ranging broody.

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
This weekend has seen my first set of broody hatched chicks come into the world.
It also saw the return of a broody White Leghorn hen who has been missing for 2 weeks. I half expected her return.

I found her. On her nest. With fertilized eggs under her. Not too far from the busy road in front of our house.

Should I leave her be? I am thinking of putting her and her eggs into a nest box in an empty coop that I have available. It'd be a quiet place where I can give her some heat and watch her closely since I have no idea of exactly when she started brooding her clutch.

My wife is wrong. We do not have too many chickens...

Risks/Benefits in leaving her alone

1. Risk from a predator

2.???

Risks/Benefits in moving her

1. You run the risk you break her from being broody

2. ???

Finish filling in these as you see them. The answer may become obvious to you. To me, it could go either way.

If I were wearing a down coat, I would not consider adding heat a benefit.

Predators have been pretty sparse this year so that is not a real concern. I'll probably just keep a close eye on her and move her and the chicks when they do start peeping and/or starting to hatch.

Where did you live here in Tn?

I wish you could stick a doghouse over her or something. Please keep us posted. With the number of coons I've dispatched this fall, I'm a bit paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom