Moving a setting hen?

Is it normal for my flock to produce less once a hen goes broody? I went from 12 to about 7 as soon as one went broody on me. I was expecting she would stop laying as frequently but not the others.
Mine are doing the same. I have 2 broody buff orpingtons in the same nest. And once they went broody, my other hens seemed to stop laying as often.

As a kid, we ran into a situation where a relative's peacock had a full nest of eggs and a weasel snagged her. We put a broody Ameraucana
in a old dog house we put a door on; giving her some room to stretch her legs and her own food/water; as well as a nice place to start the chicks out.

Worked well and all did great. Good luck with yours.
fl.gif

I've moved my hens with great success. After you move her, don't bother her for a few days, and keep her in close to the clutch.
Good luck
Becky in NOLA

Is it normal for my flock to produce less once a hen goes broody? I went from 12 to about 7 as soon as one went broody on me. I was expecting she would stop laying as frequently but not the others.
I know that with mine my broody stopped producing right aways. Not a single egg from her. Is your hen taking up a nesting box? I know mine was so others began laying on the floor under the pine shavings and once outside too!

I have moved setting hens problems whatsoever, and I have moved hens with babies. if they are fussy just do it anyway. you are bigger than she is!! mine have always taken to the new nest with eggs or babies. only problem I have is the whole flock stops laying when one is neting

Last edited:
ok. Somewhat new at this but in the same situation. My hen is about 18 mo old - and she is brooding/setting right where all the others lay their eggs. I've labelled 4 eggs and make a point of bringing her water and food. I never see her eat but I assume she must.
I've now seen the other hens lay right next to her and the eggs end up under her, so I suspect she beaks them over under her chest.

Something I noticed: one day one of the eggs was in the other box - visibly pushed over. I put it back under her. Is that normal? Is that her telling me that egg is a dud?

Also - I'm worried about the height. the box is pretty high - about 5 feet. I have a lot of straw but that concerns me. I do have another coop with a small run that is not used at all. Should I move her there? Should I move her with chicks (assuming they hatch?) once they do? Would heat be an issue? We're getting into the warm period in Michigan and should I just let mama bird do her magic?
I would separate her from the other hens and take out all the eggs and buy some new babies and sneak then under her at night. in the morning she will just think her eggs hatched

We have a 1-year-old Buff Orpington who is broody.  On Wednesday we put a dozen fertilized eggs under her.  She is very content to stay on them with almost no break.  We are looking forward to seeing her care for some chicks in 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, she started brooding in the nesting box in the small coop she shares with 3 other hens.  We now have a place we can move her to be alone and where we won't have to worry for her chicks when they hatch.  However, we are concerned that she won't like the new location and will not stay on the eggs.

What do the experienced chicken raisers recommend?  Should we wait?  Is it safe to move her?  (The nesting box she is in portable, so we don't have to handle the eggs.)  Should we move the other hens on day 20 (they won't be very happy about that), and then relocate the mother and chicks after they hatch?

Suggestions, please!
I also had a hen that went broody in the nest box. I made her a nest in a separate location. Her eggs in the nest box was not fertile, so I got some fertile eggs from a friend and put into her new nest. I went to then hen house in the afternoon and took her to the new nest. I put a milk create over top of her for an hour or two just so she would have no choice but to sit on the eggs. Came back a couple of hours later and removed the milk create. She stayed on them and has stayed with them for two weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom