Moving a setting hen?

Hi! I just had to tell about my part buff and part game hen. She became broody. None of the eggs hatched. That was over 21days. I ordered 25 chicks. They came three weeks later. That hen was still sitting on golf balls. I took the new babies out there and took one golf ball and gave her one chick until the golf balls were all out. Then I just handed her chicks. There were 26 baby bared rocks. She took them all and didn't loose any of them. It was in the middle of the summer. It was so neat to watch her gather each chick as I handed them to her and tuck them under her. I really like my chickens they are so much fun.

i have not read ALL of this thread, i will read it while waiting for a responce to my querie.....
my laying nests are made from strong heavy guage wire mesh, its like a metal grid with about 2 inch squares... like a chess board but the squares are empty if u know what i mean, they were never meant for broodies but one of my girls has been sitting tight about 2 weeks and im afraid the chicks will be able to fall throegh the wire mesh so i really need to move her. i have an old pet carrier that i wanna put her in, how do i move her so that she wont abandon the eggs?

Also, the nest is about 4 feet off the ground with straw underneath.
i candled 3 of her eggs and all 3 have chicks inside, didnt want to candle more incase it put her off sitting, just wanted to check a sample to see how things were going

Last edited:
Update on mine-- we never did successfully move the hen (she'd go right back to the nest box) and we were late getting the eggs marked-- so we just kept taking out the new eggs (we did eventually mark them) and let her set right there-- out of 8 viable eggs - 2 were broken at day 18 (sigh), but 4 did hatch out fine, the last 2 were way behind in development so must have been laid later (late to marking them)...
She sat in that 3 ft high nest box for 3 days before she came down and the babies hopped right down after her.
And then, she moved into the dog crate I chose for her to begin with! Its right next the coop off to one side of the run (the run actually opens out to a yard that has a gap in the fence so the rest of the flock goes out most of the day to free range on 2 acres)-- they are 8 days old now and doing well (they stay in the yard , the flock skirts around them as Mama is very defensive).

Sadly we did have one unexplained death (I was away at work) my daughter found one dead on day 6, intact in the nest one morning (all the chicks were healthy and lively no obvious signs of illness)....

i have not read ALL of this thread, i will read it while waiting for a responce to my querie.....
my laying nests are made from strong heavy guage wire mesh, its like a metal grid with about 2 inch squares... like a chess board but the squares are empty if u know what i mean, they were never meant for broodies but one of my girls has been sitting tight about 2 weeks and im afraid the chicks will be able to fall throegh the wire mesh so i really need to move her. i have an old pet carrier that i wanna put her in, how do i move her so that she wont abandon the eggs?

Also, the nest is about 4 feet off the ground with straw underneath.
i candled 3 of her eggs and all 3 have chicks inside, didnt want to candle more incase it put her off sitting, just wanted to check a sample to see how things were going
Move the nest at night to where you want it to be on Day 18 - 19 of the setting time. Once those chicks start rocking those eggs she won't move no matter where you put her. Cover the area so none of the other hens bother her in the new place.

Hi! I just had to tell about my part buff and part game hen. She became broody. None of the eggs hatched. That was over 21days. I ordered 25 chicks. They came three weeks later. That hen was still sitting on golf balls. I took the new babies out there and took one golf ball and gave her one chick until the golf balls were all out. Then I just handed her chicks. There were 26 baby bared rocks. She took them all and didn't loose any of them. It was in the middle of the summer. It was so neat to watch her gather each chick as I handed them to her and tuck them under her. I really like my chickens they are so much fun.
That's wonderful. Some hens are like that.

I have one that will take anything you give her. She is raising ducklings right now. I have another that pecked a chick to death that she didn't hatch. I saved the other 2, thank heavens. Fortunately the one that won't adopt will break her brood after 25 days if nothing hatches.

Ok so ive been reading a bit on some of the posts here and if you all dont mind i would.love to ask a few questions since i kinda have an emergency.. My mom is moving and cant take her chicken and turkey with her. So i have agreed to drive the three hours to get them and bring them to my coop. I have no more chickens atm. 2 of her hens are sittin eggs and so far one chick has hatched. Now they have to be moved before the 5th of Nov. Me and my dh only have a ford ranger to transport the birds.. And we need a plan..i dont know what will happen to them if i dont bring them home with me... And i helped raised them for awhile and i have grown attached... Please help :)

Borrow some cat carriers for each hen and their brood. A dog carrier for the turkey. Throw in shavings. Add birds. Load in the back of the truck and drive home. They will be fine for 3 hours without food and water. IF you can find a way to give them water, that would be better, food isn't necessary. Can't get enough cat carriers? Use large laundry baskets and cover the top of them with a large towel to keep them in and calm. If you can drive them home after dark they will sleep the whole way.

Interesting thread. Just out of interest, I have a duck and a hen sharing the same nest....duck eggs and chicken eggs!
barnie.gif

Ok so ive been reading a bit on some of the posts here and if you all dont mind i would.love to ask a few questions since i kinda have an emergency.. My mom is moving and cant take her chicken and turkey with her. So i have agreed to drive the three hours to get them and bring them to my coop. I have no more chickens atm. 2 of her hens are sittin eggs and so far one chick has hatched. Now they have to be moved before the 5th of Nov. Me and my dh only have a ford ranger to transport the birds.. And we need a plan..i dont know what will happen to them if i dont bring them home with me... And i helped raised them for awhile and i have grown attached... Please help :)
So how did the move go?

I had to move a hen today. Didn't know I should do at night. Moved the eggs into the coop and then hen but she keeps leaving and going back to old nest (which is outside and not safe) help will she eventually sit on them? How long can the eggs survive without being set upon?

Back
Top Bottom