Moving Across Country, How to transport safely

Sgtfirstwife

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Stedman
We are moving from NC to Missouri this summer. Our family consist of 3 dogs, 5 cats, 1 lizard and 25 chickens of various age and sizes. My husband plans on putting them in a u-haul truck, inside a chicken tractor. They are normally in three separate coops, but the tractor is the only one we can leave up for the trip. My question is this, should we put them in individual chicken crates or leave them loose in the chicken tractor? Any ideas on how to keep them cool? I thought about putting ice on the floor of truck, but I am sure it would melt fast. We will be on the road for three days , stopping at night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only way I can think to keep the back of a uhaul cool in summer is with a portable ac. Home Depot sells them but they are kind of pricey. You would need a ton of ice in an uninsulated truck box for 3 days.

Is there any way that someone can go faster in a vehicle and put them all in dog crates inside? They will be comfortable, even in boxes with adequate ventilation for a bit. They ship adult birds cross country via express mail. If you stop for a night you can provide water and feed.

I've moved from Denver, CO to eastern PA and only stopped 1 night. Moved to AL from FL, 15 hours straight through (that stunk, we were exhausted) but its possible.

Back
Top Bottom