Moving broody hen and chicks to coop.

CalicoChickenCo

Hatching
Jul 26, 2022
I know this has been discussed before but I haven't been able to find the answers I'm needing insight on. I live in Northern Wisconsin. We still have a foot or so of snow on the ground but night time temps are about to be in the mid forties. I've got a broody hen and 9 almost 4 week old chicks in a brooder trough in the garage and they are outgrowing their current set up. My current coop is small as I mostly free range and my new to me coop won't be able to be moved for a few more weeks so I'm trying to troubleshoot integrating my broody and chicks. I don't have a way to close off an area of my current coop and I only have a small dog kennel that won't be enough room for the hen and chicks. Any thoughts on how to best approach integrating in this scenario? I might not be able to facilitate the 'ideal' integration but would love to hear some insight. Thank you!

Space is the key to successful and safe integration. Ideally you have ten square feet of run space available for each chicken you are keeping, including these nine one-month olds. If not, get busy. It's absolutely necessary for safety.

You begin by providing a sectioned off space in the run for the broody and her chicks to spend the day in over the next two or three days. Then on the third or fourth day of these little day trips, open the safe pen so broody and chicks can mingle. Observe for a bit when you first let them all together. But as long as there is ample space, 10sq. feet per chicken, there should be few issues.

The broody will try to teach her chicks to go into the coop come dusk, and you might need to assist her chicks for the first couple nights. I find tacking an old hand towel onto the ramp will help tiny chick feet adhere better and assist in the climb into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom