moving broody hen

bstarr20

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Louisiana
I have eggs coming that I will place under a broody hen. Should I let her set on them in the main pen or move her to a pen by herself. If I move her when should I do it? Before eggs get here so she can settle or wait till they get here and put her and eggs in new pen at same time?

I got a suggestion from this forum that broodies be moved at night. I did that and alls well....only one more week to go. I have two silkie broodies -- one on 5 eggs and the other on 2....they aren't even their own eggs. Those silkies love to brood!

And, yes, I did move them to their own brooder when they can both hatch their eggs and raise the little ones for a few weeks. The brooder is in with the big girls and boy so they can all get to "know and recognize each other."

I moved mine a couple of days before the eggs arrived. Glad I did because she wasn't happy. I wound up moving the nest box she liked with her, and that solved the problem. Do it after dark, in the evening.

Last year I let one hatch an egg in the coop with the others. I marked the eggs to be set so I could take out others laid in there. It worked, but you do have that problem of other hens jumping in the nest that the broody is using. I was out there every hour or two to make sure things were where they were supposed to be. So this year she is separated. I open the cage every morning, and she gets up and eats, etc., then goes back. (There is food and water in there but I don't see any sign she eats or drinks the rest of the time.) Good broody. I will open the cage and leave it open as soon as all the chicks are hatched. Mama protected her chick from the others just fine last year, and these are the same hens, so not worried about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she have eggs under her right now?

Yes, definitely put her in a pen by herself. I would move her ASAP and get her used to the new spot. Chickens seem to get more attached to the nest they pick out than the eggs, so moving them is a little tricky.
I moved mine during the day but I hear night is better. You may have to find a way to confine her to the nest overnight or a little longer to get her to accept the new spot.
I moved my broody into a dog house with a nest box inside. I ended up having to block the exit of the dog house overnight because she wanted to go back to her old nest. But after locking her in overnight, she did great, and then would only came out to eat, drink and poop occasionally. We now have two little chicks!

I have a cage by the house I raised the chicks (her) in when I got them in Nov. before I moved them to pen. I was going to put her in that. Should I just move her to the big dog kennel & leave it in the pen & Open the door in the evening when the big girls are out?

Quote:
You can leave her in the chicken yard, but I wouldn't open the door at night. Just keep them completely separated. Just make sure she has access to food and water and a place to poop. Some chickens never or hardly get off the nest when broody. Mine got up every day to eat, drink and poop. If you have any DE, it is good to dust the nest (and her) with it before letting her settle in. They are more prone to getting mites when broody because their not dust bathing regularly.

Here's our process that works well for us:

We let our broody hens sit on their (marked) eggs in the henhouse nestboxes, with everyone else. Some of the other hens get in and lay their eggs with the broodies, so we check and take out the unmarked eggs every day.

Then, when the chicks start to hatch, we carefully move the mommas into cat carriers with their eggs and babies, and bring them into our house, and put little dishes of water and chick starter in with them. It's great to have them close by so we can monitor their progress, remove empty shells, and play with chickies!

Potty Training: To keep poo off the chicks and smell out of our house, I take the cat carriers outside 3 times per day, lift the hen out to go poop in our yard, then let her back in the carrier with her chicks.

We're hatching right now, and we currently have 15 out of 17 chicks hatched! Here's a pic from yesterday:

Good luck!

Quote:
So cute!

I find one of the perks to having mama do it is that I DON'T have to have chicks in the house. LOL
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom