Moving chickens 20 hours

roshasta1

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
We have a small flock of 4 hens. We are currently in CA and will be moving to AR at the end of next year so we have a bit of time to figure it out.
My question is have you ever traveled with your flock? If so how did you transport them? I have a big dog kennel so thats no problem what i cant figure out is how to take them. Is it unwise to keep them in the back of a uhaul? Id like to get a camper shell for our truck so they can be in there but thats a bit pricey when we r trying to save to move. Any tips is appreciated!

How many days will you be on the road?
I think in a trailer will be OK. If they are kept in the dark, they should be OK but they'll need food and water 2 or 3 times a day. Perhaps when you stop for the night, give them some light for a couple hours so they can hydrate and fill their crops and again in the morning and again midday.

No, you absolutely cannot haul them in the U-Haul trailer. They will overheat, or suffocate.

You CAN haul them in a trailer that is designed for livestock, and is open.

You can also put them in the dog crate, in the bed of the truck right behind the cab. Strap the crate down so it doesn't slide around. Look for a dog crate cover, like hunters use, that will protect them if it rains, give them shade, but still have "windows" for ventilation. You should be able to find one for less than $100.

Okay so have you ever traveled with chickens like that before? Wouldnt the winds be too much for them on the freeways ? Ill be on the road for 2 day / 20 hours

Okay so have you ever traveled with chickens like that before? Wouldnt the winds be too much for them on the freeways ? Ill be on the road for 2 day / 20 hours

If you have a cover on the crate, they should be fine. You WANT wind when you are "on the road". It blows away heat and fumes. The bed of your truck will get VERY hot from conducting heat from the road and your exhaust system. Moving the air around helps cool the birds down.

Back
Top Bottom