moving chickens long distance best way to do it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggy n nibbler, Jun 18, 2011.

1. eggy n nibbler

eggy n nibbler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    hello my name is emma and i have 6 chickens

who are my every thing and i will be moving to adelaide from brisbane in a few months time and i want to take my chickens with me and i was wondering which is the safest way to travel with them and to ensure that none pass away from stress in the long drive which will take 2 days which will be 12 hours and 1 one night staying in a motel.

i need to know what to move them in and how many times should i fed them and stop for them to have a drink
    and just anything else you guys can think of which will be helpful for me and ensure the safety of my babys

thank you so much

emma

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I only moved 5 hours, but I put them in a large pet carrier with food and water, but just 3 hours into it the car was sure smelly.

3. eggy n nibbler

Dec 13, 2010
    lol that is one thing im not wanting but chickens got to poop

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Try to keep them in the dark as much as possible. It will reduce stress.

Rescue Remedy also works wonders on stress. You can get it at GNC or similar store down there.

If you can put them in 6 separate boxes, just big enough for them, they won't get jostled as much.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    they do just fine in large dog crates. they seem to not get to worried if they are in with another. food , water. I had a full grown english orp rooster shipped across the country in the mail. he came out of his box just fine.

6. eggy n nibbler

Dec 13, 2010
    i will prob have the 2 younger chickens eggy and nibbler in the same box cause they would die without one another and the other 4 older chickens in another container but i will prob make more space if they all went into together but i was looking if i could put them on a plane but i don't know if they do i will prob have to ring and see what i can workout closer to the date when we are moving.

and another thing do the chickens need any needles or vaccas before going to adelaide

7. ooilou

ooilou New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    What did you end up doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by