Moving Chicks Back In With Mum??

Buster098

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Leeds, England
I dont have a nest box or pen set up down in the field for my broody hen so when her eggs hatched nearly 2 weeks ago I took the chicks home so I could look after them and so the other chickens didnt do anything to the new chicks and now today Ive just found out another 4 chicks have hatched down there but I dont want to take all the chicks away from the mother so would it be safe to leave the chicks down there or would I be able to bring the mum and her new chicks home and put her and them in with the other 6 chicks of hers from nearly 2 weeks ago?

Cheers

I don't know what it looks like down in the field. Mine raise their chicks with the flock, free ranging during the day and sleeping in the coop at night. Sometimes they sleep on the floor and sometimes they sleep in a nest. Every broody does it her way.

Would it be safe to put her and the new chicks with the two week olds. I don't know. I can see three possible outcomes.

1. Mama kills the older chicks as a threat to her young ones.
2. Mama adopts the older chicks and raises them with her others.
3. Mama ignores the older chicks.

I cannot tell you which would happen or which is more likely to happen. They are living animals. Anything is possible.

I know. Probably not a lot of help. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom