Moving chicks from brooder to coop

It is amazing how much difference there can be in their personalities.

As a suggestion, you might want to set up a separate eating area if you have a couple that are that shy. It is not that unusual for the bullies to keep the weaker ones away from the food. It is a pecking order/intimidation thing. If you set up separated feeding areas, the weaker ones are more likely to get enough to eat.

I'm having the same problem... I have 6 leghorns that will be 4 weeks this Friday. They are in a big brooder box with 2 week old Sussex's and don't stay directly under the heat lamp. The coop is ready but I don't know when to put them out. The temperature is struggling to reach 70 everyday and is about 45 at night. I can't put a heat lamp in the coop .. I don't know when to put mine out. Coop photo attached

Hi, I am a new chick owner of 12 babies almost 4 weeks old. I am learning a lot from everyone here. Please advise me about moving them from the brooder to the coop. I live in Hawaii, and it never gets lower than about 73 degrees at night. I would like to move hem to the coops, I have 4 small ones that hold 4 chicks. I plan to put 3 in each. It is the Costco one, very nice I think. Will I need to keep them in the enclosed section for a week? If so, I need to put food and water in with them, and they soil the water so badly, that I am using a hanging waterer now. No room for that in the coop enclosure. I was planning to keep them together at first, but maybe I should divide them into 2 groups? Am planning to use an exterior waterer made from pvc pipe for when they can be out of the enclosed area. Will they be good moving outside so soon, they are so big now, and wanting to fly?

Are you saying you have 4 coops? I don't understand that. What are the dimensions? Are they really coops, or just enclosures? What is the floor area of each of these? Hanging water at back level of birds is best, elevating feed helps also. Your birds will need 4 sq. feet of floor space/bird in the coop and 10 sq. feet of space in run per bird.

Yes, 4 coops measuring 69Lx29.5Dx41H. Inside area is 26x25. Would like to keep 3 chicks in each coop. Maybe use 2 to start, so they can stay warm at night. Would that work? It is in the 80's during the days and 70's at night.

Back
Top Bottom