Moving chicks outdoors

Nice run area for your girls. If the rhodies have already figured out to go in the coop, hopefully the orps will soon follow. At five weeks old they should be fully feathered in a couple of weeks or so and shouldn't need supplemental heat anymore even if it is below freezing. If you expect then to stay in the coop for long periods of time in the winter because of the weather/snow etc, I would consider putting a window or two in since it does seem pretty dark. With feed, if there is feed in the coop, since it is there when they wake up they tend to eat before they go outside and most will be willing to go back in during the day for more food and they do seem to learn to go in and out faster. If there is food outside, they do tend to eat that first. But as long as they are eating it is really whatever is most convenient for you.

The coop will need some way to get natural light inside. With your set-up "as is", I would leave the pop door open full time to let in light and fresh air (adding a window would help). This is contingent that you run is predator proof. It looks like you have welded wire for the sides and chicken wire for the top. I would consider adding sheets of corrugated metal for the roof and adding a skirt around the sides to deter digging predators. A cover over the run will provide shade, keep out rain/snow, and allow you to hang a feeder and keep it dry. I did not notice any upper vents on your coup. It will for sure need vents to move moist air out. At 5 or 6 weeks, the birds will need to be in the brooder for supplemental heat or a lamp in the coop during cold weather. At 8 or 9 weeks of age they will be become fully feathered. I like your 2 perimeter guards! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I assume his vents are the spaces at the roofline from the curvy metal roof? Do you not think that would be enough for a small coop if they go all the way around? I was planning on filling mine but ended up leaving them open for extra air exchange. It looks like he has more open spaces than on my roofing though.

My coop is vented at least 1 in around the roof line and screened from the inside. Also , I believe the run its predator proof. I have 8 in extra fence on the bottom all sides to prevent critters from Diggin inside the run.. I have some plexiglass and I think I'll add two windows for light...also, one thing is perplexing, during the winter when it's cold and snowing outside I always see birds flying around and it seems the cold doesn't bother them. Are chickens not as tuff in the cold as wild birds?..thanks for all your input.

I assume his vents are the spaces at the roofline from the curvy metal roof? Do you not think that would be enough for a small coop if they go all the way around? I was planning on filling mine but ended up leaving them open for extra air exchange. It looks like he has more open spaces than on my roofing though

The openings under the corrugated roof look good! Hopefully you have enough overhang to keep out any rain or blowing snow. Very nice looking tractor!!

My coop is vented at least 1 in around the roof line and screened from the inside. Also , I believe the run its predator proof. I have 8 in extra fence on the bottom all sides to prevent critters from Diggin inside the run.. I have some plexiglass and I think I'll add two windows for light...also, one thing is perplexing, during the winter when it's cold and snowing outside I always see birds flying around and it seems the cold doesn't bother them. Are chickens not as tuff in the cold as wild birds?..thanks for all your input.
Ah... Vents up high are perfect. I also see a lot of birds out in the Winter; Unfortunately, they like to hangout in my coop/run. It is pretty hard to keep them out since the chickens free range. If you have a cold weather breed of chicken then they do fine. They have advantages over wild birds..... A nice shelter, food, and water all supplied by you!

thumbsup.gif

I think they just meant that they will need heat when they are young, and don't have their full feathers in. All of their skin may be covered, but for quite a while they are still growing in their pin feathers and aren't as insulated as an adult bird. When the wild birds are doing this, it is usually spring or summer. Once they are fully feathered in, most chickens don't need extra heat, except sometimes I would probably give seramas, frizzles or silkies extra heat if it got really cold but I'm sure there are differing opinions on that.

Our tractor is 3x5. Right now I have a trio of bantam cochins in it, but I think up to 5 bantam adults would be alright if I would let them out for "playtime" in the yard every day. 3x5 run space isn't all that much. I plan on using it to separate out breeding groups, or to grow out young birds.

Back
Top Bottom