Moving chicks to outside coop

katssmilin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
We have 3 ISA Brown chicks that will be 7 weeks old Saturday. They are not under a heat lamp. We would like to move them outside to the coop on Saturday. We want to keep them in the coop for at least 2 days so they are familiar with the roost, food, water. The weather is calling for temps in the 90's during the day. Will it be too hot for them to stay inside the coop? There are windows that we will have open and can put a fan in to move the air around. Than
DSC01654.JPG
ks for any advice in advance.

They should be fine. As long as they have shade and cool water. A fan is a good idea. You can also put ice cubes or a drop of honey in the water to make it cool.

That's a tough one. 90's is hot inside or out.
I guess it would depend on how high the temperature gets inside the coop, ventilation and air flow. Can you test it out before hand?

That's a tough one. 90's is hot inside or out.
I guess it would depend on how high the temperature gets inside the coop, ventilation and air flow. Can you test it out before hand?
We will try putting the fan on and having the windows open and hanging a thermometer to see what the temp gets up to. Thank you

I would just keep an eye on it. My first batch I had out in a green house for a while. It would get into the 90s in the green house and I'd get worried. They were on sand so I soaked the sand . They would dig down into it in the shade. If your willing to be a rooster a couple of times you can just skip the lock down in the coop and usher them in with treats at dusk. But that won't really work if they free range.

Does your coop have sufficient ventilation that it is no hotter inside the coop than outside the coop?

If so, they'll be fine.

If not, you'll have to let them have access to the run so they don't cook. Maybe keep them in for a little while in the morning so that they can find the food and water and also put another feeder and waterer in the run?

Thank you everyone. We put them out on Sunday when it wasn't as hot. We had 3 windows open and put screen up in front of the door out to the run and left it open and had a fan running. We kept a close eye on them with the cameras and everything went well. The temps have dropped back down into the 70's and we let them out into the run after 2 nights in the coop. They are loving all the room and dirt to scratch in.

Back
Top Bottom