Moving Chicks to the Coop

So to update. We got our fence fully up around to coop and it was finally a really nice day so we simultaneously moved the little chicks (4 weeks old while older 6 weeks old) to the coop and opened to pop door to let the bigger guys out. We were in or near the coop or watching while doing stuff in the backyard. Everyone really seemed scared of everyone else, no one seemed to bully but no real interaction either. I’m cautiously optimistic after 6 hours together.

Ok. Another question. Nearly 6 week (11) and nearly 4 week old (5) chicks in the coop together. Seems to be getting along reasonably harmoniously. Littlest don’t venture outside on their own. Bigs out a lot during day. Bigs quick to put littles in their place with treats but otherwise everyone seems to be eating and drinking happily.

Coop well insulated and ventilated. Generally about 5-10 degrees warmer than outside temp with pop door open.

Heat plate still on at all times.

Tonight after they all went in and I closed the door for the night I peeked in the window and all 16 were huddled in together in the corner away from the heat plate.

How long do I leave it on and in the coop?

Another week?

Attachments

• 281004C3-3C17-4A0D-923A-387611C82408.jpeg
    281004C3-3C17-4A0D-923A-387611C82408.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1
Tonight after they all went in and I closed the door for the night I peeked in the window and all 16 were huddled in together in the corner away from the heat plate.

Another week?
Guessing they probably don't need heat any more.
Were they huddled side by side or piled?
Is plate big enough for all of them to fit under?

Guessing they probably don't need heat any more.
Were they huddled side by side or piled?
Is plate big enough for all of them to fit under?

Thanks for the response. They were all sort of huddled in one corner. Space between them but many touching.

I doubt they could all fit under the plate. I have seen all 11 big ones under it and all 5 of the 2 week younger easily fit.

My assumption has been that the bigger ones don’t go near or use it the heat any longer. I’ll have to sneak a look more often after dark.

I like that. The heat from other chickens? Or?
Not sure what your question is.
Yes, the body heat from all the birds laying tightly side by side will help keep the younger and less feathered birds warmer(if needed).
If they are piling on top of each other because they are cold,
the ones on the bottom can suffocate.
They also are touching for 'comfort'.

Bigs quick to put littles in their place with treats but otherwise everyone seems to be eating and drinking happily.

I consider an integration to be successful when no one gets hurt. The Cum-Bah-Yah stuff of sitting around a campfire singing Puff the Magic Dragon and eating S'mores in one happy group can come later. I think you are in a good place with integration. Don't worry about the separation during the day or the treat behavior.

Even in North Dakota your 6-week-olds do not need the heat lamp. Their behavior is telling you that. Most chicks are fully feathered by 4 to 5 weeks. Even when not fully feathered they can handle cooler temperatures pretty well but we like to play it safe with them. Yours are telling you by their behaviors that they don't need that heat plate.

So when do you take it out? I would now based on their behaviors but as long as the way you have it set up isn't a danger of starting a fire or shorting out, I don't see any problems with leaving it in a few more days. They may not need it but it may make you feel better if it is available. There is value in your feeling good, if you have a nagging doubt about what some stranger over the internet is telling you then you may sleep better with it available.

Not sure what your question is.
Yes, the body heat from all the birds laying tightly side by side will help keep the younger and less feathered birds warmer(if needed).
If they are piling on top of each other because they are cold,
the ones on the bottom can suffocate.
They also are touching for 'comfort'.

Question was what you refer to as chick raft.

Back
Top Bottom