Moving Chicks to the Coop

Pics

k9grammy

Chirping
Feb 8, 2019
Bellingham, WA
I have 19 two to three week old chicks living my spare bedroom. I made a pen for them using a dog x-pen covered with sheets. They have one of those heat plate things for warmth. I keep my house fairly cool (low to mid 60's in the day and low 50's at night). I live in the Ferndale area of Western Washington and spring is FINALLY decided to come our way.
I'm converting my former plastic gardening shed into a coop for the girls. I have put in some extra ventilation. The coop is surrounded by the chicken yard which contains a good sized Wisteria bush and a Snowball bush and a large rose bush.
My plan is to put in a deep layer of shavings with a 4' high board at the doorway to keep the chicks and the shavings inside for now. I'm going to put in a heat lamp instead of the heat plate. Since they are used to dashing under the heat plate as a hidey hole, I'll put a long short step stool with a blanket over it as their hide-a-way.
This will give me a lot more room to add beginning roosting boards and other entertaining bits and pieces.
It is supposed to rain next week, so I'll keep them in until after that.
The physical act of moving them is going to be the challenge. I thought I might use a cat carrier and take half at a time out.
Any suggestions or comments?

It is not too early to put them out, I would NOT use a heat lamp outdoors, or indoors they are a fire hazard. I brood in the coop with a heat plate and temps overnight have been high 20"s low 30"s and they do fine. I could not imagine having them in the house even for a day!

They will be fine, watch them to make sure they find the heat plate and food and water.

Gary

It is not too early to put them out, I would NOT use a heat lamp outdoors, or indoors they are a fire hazard. I brood in the coop with a heat plate and temps overnight have been high 20"s low 30"s and they do fine. I could not imagine having them in the house even for a day!

They will be fine, watch them to make sure they find the heat plate and food and water.

Gary

Heat lamps are fine if they are secured properly indoors yet I would never use any light in my coop. The standard for putting chicks outside is 4-6 weeks or fully feathered. Anything younger increases their chance of dying by quite a bit.

Thanks! I've been going back and forth over the heat lamp thing. I can hang it from the ceiling, so it is well away from the shavings. The temp out there last night was 34 (with the door wide open. I can close it at night. I'm worried the heat plate is no longer big enough for them all to get under. Maybe if I drape of towel over it and extend it out to the sides a bit????
I don't remember going thru this the last time ((15 or 20 years ago) I raised baby chicks. Of course then I was still working and hadn't the time to fuss like I do now.

Thanks! I've been going back and forth over the heat lamp thing. I can hang it from the ceiling, so it is well away from the shavings. The temp out there last night was 34 (with the door wide open. I can close it at night. I'm worried the heat plate is no longer big enough for them all to get under. Maybe if I drape of towel over it and extend it out to the sides a bit????
I don't remember going thru this the last time ((15 or 20 years ago) I raised baby chicks. Of course then I was still working and hadn't the time to fuss like I do now.

Make sure that lamp is secured firmly in place. I still would wait to put them in the coop for a few more weeks.

I actually brood in my coop.
I have brooded chicks in a big barn on the ground with just one heat lamp for 25 babies. They were 3 days old when I got them. Straight to the barn they went.

Heat lamps CAN be a fire hazard.....however....
If secured very well they work fine.

Your chicks are young enough that drafts are especially worrisome. Make sure there is not a breeze or draft on the warning area

Securing the lamp won't be a problem. I probably will get the coop set up and ready today, then put the heat lamp up and watch the temp to see how it goes. I can close the doors at night to keep it warmer in there, but wanted to leave it open for the natural light to shine in. Since this shed is a double walled plastic shed, it does tend to get warm from the ambient temperature outside.
I will be putting down both shavings and loose hay on the floor. I've been putting some hay in their brood pen and they seem to like it. I've been giving them Alfalfa sprouts occasionally, I hope that is okay. I grew more than I intended.

For the draft idea, I think I'll hang a few strips of surveyors tape and see if they get blown at all. The ventilation I've added are all up high (near the roof line). but with the door open... I was planning on putting a 4' high board across that opening (only one door open for now.)

Securing the lamp won't be a problem. I probably will get the coop set up and ready today, then put the heat lamp up and watch the temp to see how it goes. I can close the doors at night to keep it warmer in there, but wanted to leave it open for the natural light to shine in. Since this shed is a double walled plastic shed, it does tend to get warm from the ambient temperature outside.
I will be putting down both shavings and loose hay on the floor. I've been putting some hay in their brood pen and they seem to like it. I've been giving them Alfalfa sprouts occasionally, I hope that is okay. I grew more than I intended.

They’ll need grit for the sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom