Moving Cross Country! Need help!

Advertisement Purina Flock Layer


In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Hey All, I'm moving out of southern California in about two weeks. One of the many fun parts of my particular career is I don't know where exactly I will be moving to, but I do have it narrowed down a bit. So, I'm expecting to either move to New Mexico, or Minnesota. Yes, I know that's a big difference in just about everything. Anyway....

I have chickens, ducks, rabbits, two goats and a cat. What do I need to worry about when transporting them all across state lines? Are there even concerns? Am I able to relocate animals from out of state into New Mexico or Minnesota? Are there states that wont allow me to transport them through? Obviously I have a lot of concerns and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Not moving is not an option, and I really would prefer to not have to start all over again with animals when we get to our new place.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!
A certificate of veterinary inspection of animals is required for interstate travel and entry of livestock into states. Find an accredited vet to certify all your animals within 30 days of transport. That cert is your bill of laden so to speak.

You could also look up each state your traveling through and state you plan to reside in to ensure all little nit picky things are taken care of by going to Agriculture Department or Livestock Board. A current certificate in hand should suffice though.

Make arrangements early. Your state may be the weak link in the chain. Say you were coming from my state (which is across country from you) then it would take a state vet to certify the animals and all tests associated with that for this state to comply before they issue a cert and that being state run also takes time. Scheduling is the key, some things may take time to complete or even get the vet to you.
Last edited:
What are the costs associated with the CVIs? Will I need to have one for each animal? Including each of my chickens, or just one for the whole flock?
Being in California I'd imagine there is a good cost for such a thing. Here in Vermont my NPIP inspection is free. All these things are state dependent, costs, regulations, who administers, etc.

You'll have to call California's Agricultural Department or Livestock Board and ask who does livestock certifications of health in your area, what does it cost, what are the lead times for an inspection? These are important questions only a Californian who's done it or your Ag Dept. know the answers.

In my first post you'll see I said you could look up all and any regulations of every state you'll be traveling through. As there could be little nit picky thing in this state or that you your suppose to have on hand or do prior to coming into the state even though your driving through it. Each state is different as the states are independent. In reality just a certification of inspection of health would suffice, keep it in glove compartment and expect to show if your stopped for any traffic violation along with your other paperwork (License and registration please.) The certificate becomes your "bill of lading". You are the shipper and receiver but shows your product has been inspected and approved. Like when I carried around nuclear material for a job I had I had a bill of lading. A cop that showed far too much interest and made me wait as he read the entire thing asked why there wasn't a destination for it or current route. Had to explain all nuclear material is considered owned by the federal government and in such use of said material is always in transit until it's retired back to the government. Nuclear Czar is in Prussia, NJ. He was still puzzled and made me follow him to the station where he photocopied the documents. But I digress. Your not going to have that kind of problem as your animals don't have a black and yellow nuclear hazard sticker always in full display.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom