Moving Day (to Coop)

Susanjoans

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
Hello. I'm moving my 11 week old muscovies permanently to their new coop/run. They've been free ranging during the day, then sleeping in the basement at night. (The coop took a LOT longer to build than we thought).

Here's my dilemma:

I also have 5 chickens. I built the coop/run so that I could keep all of them together - it's 10' x 20' and has a secure coop for the nighttime inside. The chickens are in a temporary (but solid) tractor right now. The ducks go over and visit them throughout the day.

Should I move them all in at once, or ducks first, then chickens some time later, or vice versa?

I'm thinking, frankly, of getting all the stress over at once and putting everyone together so they can get used to each other AND the new digs at the same time, rather than dragging out the newness. And keeping in mind that I'll separate the run if things get too aggressive.

Thoughts?

I'll post pics of their mansiion this weekend. I'm quite proud of it :)

Susan

I have chickens - ducks - and geese together and had very few problems, but they have room to get away from each other.

You said 5 chickens, but I didn't see how many ducks?

Also I would lean towards moving them all in at once - will the ducks still be able to free range during the day?

how old are the chickens? Adults can be mean to younger birds. Setting the tractor next to the new set up for a few weeks of through the wire getting to know your neighbor would be good.

Well i've never had chickens and ducks housed together but when i brought in new ducks whether bought or hatched here they always had time to get to know one another through pens.. i would section off an area in the barn.

As asked already how old are the chickens?

Two ducks, about 11 weeks old.
Chickens are from 4 - 6 mos old.

Ducks will be able to free range during the day in the yard. Chickens will be able to do the same once they're a little more socialized with me. I've had them almost 4 weeks. They settled in quickly - no break in egg laying (I have one americauna that lays nearly daily).

The coop part of their habitat is the only thing they HAVE to share - but even there there are two sections - the duck's night home is closer to the ground, and the chickens are on the second story (the ducks' roof is the chickens' floor).

I like the idea of putting the tractor next to the run. As I said, the ducks regularly visit the chicken tractor, and hang out nearby when they're hanging out in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom