Moving dielema

tamz08

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Knaresborough, North Yorkshire
Hi All - well it is the start of egg laying season and we are moving house at the end of April ! My female Goose Gemma has started to lay and I usually wait until she has laid 2 eggs then take one away and mark the other. I repeat this until she is ready to sit and then give her half a dozen back but we have never had any goslings. My pair are only young, about 5 now - no goslings is not the problem, to be honest we do not really want any more but I just let them go through the motions. My question is - Is it OK to take away every egg she lays and not leave her one. As we are moving in about 6 weeks time I dont want her to brood and my thinking is if I take away the eggs then when she's ready she has nothing to sit on. Obviously I want to make the move easy for us all and I really dont kow what to do. Any advise is much appreciated. Thank You :)

Hi All - well it is the start of egg laying season and we are moving house at the end of April ! My female Goose Gemma has started to lay and I usually wait until she has laid 2 eggs then take one away and mark the other. I repeat this until she is ready to sit and then give her half a dozen back but we have never had any goslings. My pair are only young, about 5 now - no goslings is not the problem, to be honest we do not really want any more but I just let them go through the motions. My question is - Is it OK to take away every egg she lays and not leave her one. As we are moving in about 6 weeks time I dont want her to brood and my thinking is if I take away the eggs then when she's ready she has nothing to sit on. Obviously I want to make the move easy for us all and I really dont kow what to do. Any advise is much appreciated. Thank You
smile.png
We're not having gosling this year I am taking their eggs as they lay them. She may still go broody but she'll get over it. I have a broody Muscovy right now sitting on 2 fake goose eggs i bought from Premeir 1 they look just like the real thing and she is happy as a clam. we're not having ducklings this year either.

Thank you Lydia - I have never taken her eggs away before so I just wondered what harm it may do but I suppose its just the same as taking the chicken eggs. Its the move I'm not looking forward to but I suppose they will get over that too - its me, i'm the soft one, the stressed one :) Thanks again for your reply

Thank you Lydia - I have never taken her eggs away before so I just wondered what harm it may do but I suppose its just the same as taking the chicken eggs. Its the move I'm not looking forward to but I suppose they will get over that too - its me, i'm the soft one, the stressed one
smile.png
Thanks again for your reply
I know I'm a softee too but I am trying to think realistically also, with you moving it will be alot easier to move the ones you have than a broody goose who will not be happy about it and a gander WHO will really not be happy with it. LOL lets us know how the move goes. It will take time for everyone who get use to the new place but they will.
smile.png
and it is the same as taking chicken eggs. Honest. I have them too.

Back
Top Bottom