MOVING EGGS FROM INCUBATOR TO BROODY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nstamper2000, Apr 4, 2009.

1. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Does anyone know if you can move eggs that have been in an incubator to a broody hen that is sitting safely? Will this affect the egg? What is the process for doing this? Help:/

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    its save ive done it before

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    The eggs will be fine! A hen comes off her eggs for them to cool 3 times a day fo 15-30 minutes! I'm sure 5 minutes outside a bator won't hurt them. [​IMG]

At night (at least one hour after dark), bring your hen's nest as close to your back door as possible. Then get your eggs from your bator and tuck them under her. Its okay is you organize them sloppy. I'm sure she'll straighten them out right away. If she is pecking at you, you can just lean the eggs against her or put them around her (not to far away). When she feels them, she'll look around and find the others to tuck them under her as she wants.

BTW: Broody Hens are the BEST incubators ever! They are pure instinct and hormones. She turns them when she fells they need to be turned, she positions them the way she thinks they should be positioned.....In fact, she can even communicate with the chick before he's out of his shell!

Happy Hen Hatching!
    ~Rio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by