Moving eggs to new home on day 18??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by everythingjane, Apr 10, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I was planning to incubate some eggs on the 12th... but I'm moving on May 30th.. about 45 miles away.. would this be hard on the developing chicks?
    It's a 50 minute drive- I can probably use an adapter to keep the incubator going, but I was concerned about the movement of the car.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess you can't wait four days... Or can you move them there sooner?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Someone gave me some mottled java eggs out of their incubator that were at 18 days and all three did fine. I wrapped them in a towel and carried them on my lap as I drove home and put them in the bator that was already running with eggs in it. They never missed a beat, hatching out healthy and strong and right on time. It is better that you have a whole clutch. They can help keep eachother warm. I would just put them in a towel and wrap them in a blanket and head to your new place. Keep the car warm and draft free as possible. You will more likely kill them by trying to keep them warm and accidently cooking them with a hot water bottle and such, then letting them cool off for an hour or so, at least that is my opinion. Also, maybe you could get a car converter thingy and just plug your bator into the cigarrette lighter and not miss a beat. Check out Radio Shack or something like that.

4. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies.. Rent is up on the 1st and the new renter is anxious to move in.. lol
    I could move them to my parents' house sooner than day 18.. Would that be better?

I do have an adapter/ car converter I can plug the incubator into in the car to keep it going.. I guess I would have to wrap the eggs somehow to keep them from rolling/jarring....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by