Moving from Hawaii to Vegas, which airline will ship?

Aug 31, 2021
Aloha! My family and I are moving from Hawaii to Las Vegas. We really need to ship our precious babies and are having a difficult time finding an airline to ship them. We have already called and airlines do not consider chickens to be pets; therefore they cannot ride on the plane with us either in the bottom of the plane or in the cabin with us. They need to be shipped in the actual cargo division of the airlines. It's actually a separate division than passenger flights. I have called Alaska Airlines and got conflicting info; one person told me they would for $263 (a price I'd be willing to pay) and another person told me they would not ship them and have not shipped chickens for 8 months. I have called Hawaiian Airlines cargo and they do not ship any animals other than dogs and cats. I have called American Airlines and they said that they will do it for $600. I am hoping I could find another airline that goes from Hawaii to Las Vegas for a cheaper price than $600. If anyone can tell me of another airline that will ship chickens I would greatly appreciate it. I really do not want to use USPS because I'm worried my chickens will not survive survive those conditions.

You're not finding anything because your birds need an NV import permit and negative test results. The airline doesn't want to get bogged down in that stuff so hey decline to ship them. NV doesn't require a permit for dogs and cats. Just current vaccinations.

You must have a lot going on to get the family moved. Chickens sure complicate the whole thing.

Last edited:
You're not finding anything because your birds need an NV import permit and negative test results. The airline doesn't want to get bogged down in that stuff so hey decline to ship them. NV doesn't require a permit for dogs and cats. Just current vaccinations.
So if I get that permit and tell the airlines, will they ship? Any idea how I can get this permit and where to go from there?

Please, consider that even if one of the Airlines might agree to ship your chickens in the cargo division, the extreme low temperatures there would probably be deadly and after all the trouble and costs you would be faced with dead chickens.

It might be better for everyone involved to find them a new loving home in your Hawaiian neighbourhood and maybe the new owners will agree to send some pictures and reports for your children, so they will be able to take part in the life of their beloved pets even without actually having them around.

For the sake of the chickens.

Last edited:
Please, consider that even if one of the Airelines might agree to ship your chickens in the cargo division, the extreme low temperatures there would probably be deadly and after all the trouble and costs you would be faced with dead chickens.
I believe I read that the section that they put animals in is climate controlled but I need to find out for sure...

Back
Top Bottom