Moving hen and babies

tinakevin

Songster
Nov 1, 2015
New hampahire
I have a rir hen with 2 bantam babies. Last week I moved them (momma and babies) out of the coop because I felt like the others were a little too rough on the babies. Is it possible to move them back into the coop since they r a little bigger and I think momma hen has gotten used to them or will the other hens in the house still go after the babies.

I have a rir hen with 2 bantam babies. Last week I moved them (momma and babies) out of the coop because I felt like the others were a little too rough on the babies. Is it possible to move them back into the coop since they r a little bigger and I think momma hen has gotten used to them or will the other hens in the house still go after the babies.

Yes, it is possible. The other hens will still go after the chicks, but now the chicks are older they have a better chance of avoiding danger. Close observation will be necessary. Pecks are normal; as long as the other hens are just pecking you need not worry. If the roughness escalates beyond just pecks, mom and chicks need to be separated from the rest of the flock.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom