moving in a year...already missing my chickies

Daniellebell1

Songster
May 14, 2020
Hello chicken friends,
The wheels are in motion for my little family to move from New Orleans to either Durham or Greensboro, NC, next summer. It's still a long way away (two brutal semesters of nursing school remain before I can actually leave,) but I'm already thinking a lot about what to do with my little flock.

Here's a bit about our chicken history:
I have four ladies: two New Hampshire Reds (Tilly and Ladybird), one Buff Rock (Zippy), and one Partridge Rock (Ruth Bader Hensburg.) They are right about 2 years old, and altogether lay maybe 15ish eggs per week. We got them as chicks from our local farm supply store as a quarantine project, and I've been in love ever since. I wanted three chickens, but I knew they don't have the best survival rate, so we got four and I expected to end up with two. (Chicken math reigns again!) At the time, I was struggling with the adoption-equivalent of postpartum depression, and watching the chicks was one of the only things that helped me be present and calm. They were better than therapy. (I mean, I was in therapy too. But I do believe Chicken TV made a bigger difference to my mental health.)

We built a coop (it's the most nonsensical design) but after Hurricane Ida, we stopped making them go in the coop at night. (Long story, but the end result is that they seem to know how to survive better than we give them credit for.**) Anyway, now they free range in the backyard all day and sleep in the fig tree at night.
Six months ago, Tilly and Ladybird started flying over our front fence and foraging first in my front yard and then in various neighbors' yards. I was very worried about them until I saw Ladybird challenge and fend off a cat. So I made little packages of eggs for each of my neighbors with a note saying that I was choosing not to clip their wings for now, but to please contact me if they felt the chickens were in any way a nuisance. After that I heard from most of my neighbors that they love seeing the hens. Not too long after, Ruth joined the traveling party (but poor Zippy is too heavy to make it over the fence, so she misses out on all the fun.)
A week or so ago, Ruth was attacked by a neighborhood dog that had escaped her yard. Y'ALL. I saw her body by the air conditioning unit. She was completely still. I got a shovel, a towel, a box, and tried to mentally prepare myself to bury her. I sat by her and gently stroked her feathers. She didn't move. I wrapped her body in a towel. She didn't move. THEN I pulled her wrapped body out from behind the AC unit, and she perked right up with a very sweet "Bok bok?" I just about had a heart attack. Anyway, she was only missing some feathers and was otherwise completely intact. I snuggled her and held her and cried and cried. I learned afterward, from this very forum, that chickens do experience "shock" and that her reaction was not at all unusual. Fortunately, it was a small (and kinda stupid) dog, and I think she stopped harassing Ruth when she went all limp because it wasn't as fun as harassing a flurry of noise and feathers. Anyway. Ruth was always the prettiest of the flock, but now she's also the sweetest...ever since the doggy attack, she has been my cuddliest chicken.

So back to the point of the post. My original plan was to keep these ladies for their eggs and then let them have a long and happy retirement once they stop laying. When the idea of moving after nursing school started to look more realistic, I thought that I would find them homes with friends and other chicken-enthusiasts. But now...I'm so much more attached to Ruth than I thought I would be. It seems totally impractical to move them. It's a 2-day drive, we'll have a restless 3-year-old and two dogs to soothe, I don't know anyone who has a trailer, the current coop is utterly ridiculous and would be a nightmare to move...besides all of which, the areas we are considering are more rural, and I suspect we are just not ready for the advanced predators. We will probably have to rent a place for the first 6 months, so that limits things even further. It's a terrible idea. But also...I think maybe these chickens saved my life two years ago, I've really bonded with Ruth, and the idea of leaving them behind is really upsetting.

I think the right thing to do is to find them new homes before we move. But also I hate it. I suspect I'm posting here not so much to ask for advice as for commiseration. I love these chickies, and I'm already missing them!!

**Obviously there's more nuance to my chicken-keeping philosophy and why they are not clipped and why we let them roost in the fig tree at night, and what the consequences are, and all of that. But that's for another post.

Can you not keep them because of space ie apt living? If it's a house then pack them up in a dog crate and go. I had to place my ducks when I moved to Wa but ended up moving back to my home town for a job. I can see my ducks if I want but my favorite gal died last year and it broke my heart.

Can you not keep them because of space ie apt living? If it's a house then pack them up in a dog crate and go. I had to place my ducks when I moved to Wa but ended up moving back to my home town for a job. I can see my ducks if I want but my favorite gal died last year and it broke my heart.
I think the major worry is that even if we do buy a house, it will be very difficult to get a coop erected in a timely fashion, and I worry they would spend weeks in a dog crate. And they've just...I feel like they deserve so much more than that.
Maybe the best solution would be to buy small prefab coop as a temporary measure and use it as our chicken-infirmary later. We're not exactly rolling in extra money (I'm in nursing school, and my wife is a Social Worker) but it's probably our best bet.

But I think @Kiki probably has the right idea. It does no good to fret about it so far in advance. So many things could change between now and then. And honestly, it's not like we don't have enough to worry about as it is! Our Buff Rock, Zippy, keeps going broody. We block off the nesting spot, and she finds another one. We put her in broody jail, she breaks, and a couple weeks later she's broody again. I try to explain to her that without a rooster around, there will never be any chicks. Unfortunately her English is not so great, and I don't speak Chicken, so mostly we end up just making noise at each other.

I’m sorry!

I wonder if you could order a chicken tractor type coop for the new house, something like this: http://www.ranch-coop.com/Chicken-coop-with-cedar-roof.html

Not saying you definitely have to keep them, but if you really want to, I feel like if there’s a will, there’s a way. I would never recommend a small coop, but it would be temporary until you settled permanently and then could put something nicer together for them.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Hello chicken friends,
The wheels are in motion for my little family to move from New Orleans to either Durham or Greensboro, NC, next summer. It's still a long way away (two brutal semesters of nursing school remain before I can actually leave,) but I'm already thinking a lot about what to do with my little flock.

I have four ladies: two New Hampshire Reds (Tilly and Ladybird), one Buff Rock (Zippy), and one Partridge Rock (Ruth Bader Hensburg.) They are right about 2 years old, and altogether lay maybe 15ish eggs per week. We got them as chicks from our local farm supply store as a quarantine project, and I've been in love ever since. I wanted three chickens, but I knew they don't have the best survival rate, so we got four and I expected to end up with two. (Chicken math reigns again!) At the time, I was struggling with the adoption-equivalent of postpartum depression, and watching the chicks was one of the only things that helped me be present and calm. They were better than therapy. (I mean, I was in therapy too. But I do believe Chicken TV made a bigger difference to my mental health.)

We built a coop (it's the most nonsensical design) but after Hurricane Ida, we stopped making them go in the coop at night. (Long story, but the end result is that they seem to know how to survive better than we give them credit for.**) Anyway, now they free range in the backyard all day and sleep in the fig tree at night.
Six months ago, Tilly and Ladybird started flying over our front fence and foraging first in my front yard and then in various neighbors' yards. I was very worried about them until I saw Ladybird challenge and fend off a cat. So I made little packages of eggs for each of my neighbors with a note saying that I was choosing not to clip their wings for now, but to please contact me if they felt the chickens were in any way a nuisance. After that I heard from most of my neighbors that they love seeing the hens. Not too long after, Ruth joined the traveling party (but poor Zippy is too heavy to make it over the fence, so she misses out on all the fun.)
A week or so ago, Ruth was attacked by a neighborhood dog that had escaped her yard. Y'ALL. I saw her body by the air conditioning unit. She was completely still. I got a shovel, a towel, a box, and tried to mentally prepare myself to bury her. I sat by her and gently stroked her feathers. She didn't move. I wrapped her body in a towel. She didn't move. THEN I pulled her wrapped body out from behind the AC unit, and she perked right up with a very sweet "Bok bok?" I just about had a heart attack. Anyway, she was only missing some feathers and was otherwise completely intact. I snuggled her and held her and cried and cried. I learned afterward, from this very forum, that chickens do experience "shock" and that her reaction was not at all unusual. Fortunately, it was a small (and kinda stupid) dog, and I think she stopped harassing Ruth when she went all limp because it wasn't as fun as harassing a flurry of noise and feathers. Anyway. Ruth was always the prettiest of the flock, but now she's also the sweetest...ever since the doggy attack, she has been my cuddliest chicken.

So back to the point of the post. My original plan was to keep these ladies for their eggs and then let them have a long and happy retirement once they stop laying. When the idea of moving after nursing school started to look more realistic, I thought that I would find them homes with friends and other chicken-enthusiasts. But now...I'm so much more attached to Ruth than I thought I would be. It seems totally impractical to move them. It's a 2-day drive, we'll have a restless 3-year-old and two dogs to soothe, I don't know anyone who has a trailer, the current coop is utterly ridiculous and would be a nightmare to move...besides all of which, the areas we are considering are more rural, and I suspect we are just not ready for the advanced predators. We will probably have to rent a place for the first 6 months, so that limits things even further. It's a terrible idea. But also...I think maybe these chickens saved my life two years ago, I've really bonded with Ruth, and the idea of leaving them behind is really upsetting.

I think the right thing to do is to find them new homes before we move. But also I hate it. I suspect I'm posting here not so much to ask for advice as for commiseration. I love these chickies, and I'm already missing them!!

**Obviously there's more nuance to my chicken-keeping philosophy and why they are not clipped and why we let them roost in the fig tree at night, and what the consequences are, and all of that. But that's for another post.
What if... Crazy Idea warning.. Wait. Do your dogs get along with Ruth?

Hello chicken friends,

No need to freak out quite yet. I am sure you can make everything work out. I am going to have to think on what you could do lol

If it's commiseration you need, well hon, you got it. Advice, not so much. I will mention that taking chickens across state lines requires a health certificate for each one. With AI floating around, it may not even be allowed. I think it's wise to be thinking about your girls futures now. Form a plan, and then a backup plan, and a backup to the backup. I hope you can take them with you. Failing that, you've got time to find them a good, safe home.

Back
Top Bottom