moving in a year...already missing my chickies

What if... Crazy Idea warning.. Wait. Do your dogs get along with Ruth?
Yes! I have two medium-sized, good-natured dogs that we worked pretty diligently with to make sure they were chicken-friendly. Birdie is a little scared of them, but mostly ignores them. Grover thinks he's their rooster. He considers it his personal duty to protect all of the chickens. When one sings an egg song, he howls softly. It's pretty hilarious. When they were little, he used to patrol around the yard, chasing off neighborhood cats and raccoons.

Bring on the crazy ideas!

If it's commiseration you need, well hon, you got it. Advice, not so much. I will mention that taking chickens across state lines requires a health certificate for each one. With AI floating around, it may not even be allowed. I think it's wise to be thinking about your girls futures now. Form a plan, and then a backup plan, and a backup to the backup. I hope you can take them with you. Failing that, you've got time to find them a good, safe home.
Right?? This is why we panic early and often. 🤣🤣🤣

Yes! I have two medium-sized, good-natured dogs that we worked pretty diligently with to make sure they were chicken-friendly. Birdie is a little scared of them, but mostly ignores them. Grover thinks he's their rooster. He considers it his personal duty to protect all of the chickens. When one sings an egg song, he howls softly. It's pretty hilarious. When they were little, he used to patrol around the yard, chasing off neighborhood cats and raccoons.

Bring on the crazy ideas!
Ok. I dont know if you have a partner or who you are living with, but could Ruth become an inside chicken? You could buy chicken diapers and let her outside sometimes. Or buy her a leash. Then find homes for the rest.

Right?? This is why we panic early and often. 🤣🤣🤣

I find myself in agreement with @Kiki and @townchicks - worrying and planning for things which may never occur, and will no doubt unfold in ways I never imagined they might (nor planned for).

Were it me, I'd be planning to rehome them, and hoping things went smoothly.
But then, I crossed State lines a few years back, and nothing about our new home has gone as planned - the floor might get poured next week. Yes, "a few years ago" and "floor next week".

Things happen. Its the timing that's unpredictable.

Back
Top Bottom