Moving... Moving coop suggestions? **Pic Added**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brewmiss96, Feb 21, 2009.

1. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I built it to take apart easily with the intention of not taking it when I moved, but my new landlady says I can bring the chickens, so the coop is coming with. Any advise to make the move go well? I'm thinking of just getting some burly guys to pick it up onto a trailer and not taking it apart.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    It depends on the size of your coop. If you could get a dolly, and makeshift ramp, you could get it on the trailer yourself. It's always nice to feel strong and know you did it on you own.[​IMG]

sandyj

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might want to screw on some diagonal bracing wherever you can fit it, for the move. It will considerably reduce the strain and stresses on the actual coop structure and siding, and increase your chances of getting it from point A to point B without needing significant repairs [​IMG]

Good luck, and congrats on finding a new place where you can bring your chickens!,

Pat

4. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Move it complete on the trailer...strap it down well....no rope...ratchet strap's....you can use 4-5 inch dia. pipe to roll it or I use fire wood that hasn't been split or your buddy's might be able to lift it....remember to thank the landlady...
    HappyHatch'en

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I am starting to wonder if I should convert it to a tractor with this move. right now it's on 18" high 4x4s and the footprint is 4'x6' with the peak of the coop about 5 feet tall. It's all wood. Hey, how about I post a pic! Right now I let the birds out everyday, but that's because I have ducks and a turkey too, and they need the space. But if it's just the chickens (3 atm) I could convert the run to a moveable type and maybe fix the coop to be moveable?

Huh...coulda sworn I took a pic of the completed coop. I will post tomorrow when it's light enough to take a pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by