Moving my chickens to a new location

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amandathewatergirl, Sep 18, 2009.

1. amandathewatergirl

amandathewatergirl New Egg

Jul 5, 2009
    Low and behold I am moving. I am not happy about it, but it is a must at this point. I cannot keep my ladies with me at my new place but have a great friend who is going to keep them in her backyard for the 6-9 months I need. She lives close and I can still perform daily duties, see my ladies, etc.

My questions are:

1. How should I move them? Boxes with air holes? It is only about a 25 min drive.

2. If I cannot keep their current hen house, what kind of issues do I face introducing them to a new one?

3. What kind of laying interference will this cause? 3 of my 6 birds are laying now, the last one just laid her first egg today. I figure I am moving them in about a month or less so most of them will be laying by then.

4. Any tips on what I can do to prepare them? Prepare the new space? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks everyone! Happy laying!

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sorry you have to move. [​IMG] But the move shouldn't be too bad.

Boxes with air holes would be fine. I traveled 3 hours with 8 chickens in the back of my DH car. In boxes with air holes. Lots of ventalation is the key. I was nice out so we had the windows open and I checked on them a lot. We had put a little pine shavings in the bottom of the boxes also. They didn't seem to mind at all. They were very quiet.

Chickens seem to take moving to a new home pretty well too. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Good luck with your move. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by