Moving my Coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spen0774, Nov 20, 2014.

1. spen0774

spen0774 New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    I plan to move my coop about 300 feet to a better winter location here in Western New York. How do I go about moving it so that the chickens know where to go at dusk. My flock are free range and go back to the coop in the evening.

Thanks

Jim

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Interesting question. You probably will need to herd them to the new location and consider containment there for short time so they know where it is. Since it's the same coop they should get the idea.

Here's hoping you get advice from someone who may have done this.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you joined us.

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I move mobile coops very regularly, if they're smart enough they will just spot it and move themselves there. You may need to assist by calling them in for treats or normal food just as it gets to the point of dusk where they would normally go to bed, and shut them in once they're all in, and repeat that for a few days... But that won't work if you've not trained them to come when called. It's easily done and highly recommendable, you never know when it's needed.

You may have to move them one by one at night if that doesn't work. Alternatively, just lock them in at the new location for a week, 4 nights minimum, and they should bond to that location and put themselves back there.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by