Moving my flock help

Tlmcq

Songster
Mar 17, 2017
Pomeroy, OH
Ok in about 3 weeks I will be moving and have a flock of 13 chickens 2 guinea fowl and 13 ducks of which 3 ducklings that are just over 2 weeks. They are integrated into my younger birds awaiting move to bring both flocks together. This move will be a 2.5 hour drive. I believe I can move the older ducks in their coop. I will load it first then put birds inside. Problem is I don't think moving my chickens in theirs is a good idea due to set up of their coop. So my question is, what are y'alls opinions on best, least stressful way to accomplish this move? I was thinking of maybe boxes with air holes 2 birds each or so depending on size of birds and 3 lil lings in one. Does this sound ok, or should I buy a giant box to accommodate my roo and his girls of which there are 5 to keep him calmer. Otherwise I'm sure he will be very upset the whole time. Any ideas or input greatly appreciated.

Yeah I've been looking for dog crates on Craigslist with no luck :(
Thanx for input..I only have couple days to do it and will be first of Aug.. praying it's not gonna be as nasty as it has been

What do y'all think about special trip with just the birds and I tarp the floor of truck line it with shavings/straw and put birds in by themselves? It will be cheaper for me to pay mileage for 2nd trip than to buy dog crates for em all. Do you think this would be safe for them?

Does the truck have a cap/cover?
Just the chickens and guineas?
Might work, especially if you travel in the dark.

I have moved chickens on fairly long trips with no hassles. As long as they are kept cool and as comfortable as you can keep them. Don't overcrowd them and make sure you have their new home ready for their arrival. Your idea of moving them in the truck like that sounds great, so long as you have a good cover for the cab, it would be ideal, especially if you make the trip very early in the day, or early evening, when it's not hot.

Wow, that sounds spacious enough for sure! My only concerns (not having a mental image handy) would be if/how they can harm themselves flapping loose in there and wind/ventilation… And what to expect when you open the door at your destination. In my experiences guinea fowl can be a bit flighty. I think for this an after-dark move would be ideal.

Wow, that sounds spacious enough for sure! My only concerns (not having a mental image handy) would be if/how they can harm themselves flapping loose in there and wind/ventilation… And what to expect when you open the door at your destination. In my experiences guinea fowl can be a bit flighty. I think for this an after-dark move would be ideal.
Yes, you have same concerns as I. In cab of truck there is a small door to back that I could go in and round birds up upon destination. Was also thinking of fashioning some poultry wire to cover this area if possible so that in transit it could be left open to watch them and run AC in truck or windows down to keep them cooler as there's really not much ventilation in back of truck.

Back
Top Bottom