Moving my flock to a friends farm for three winter months

Teresa D

Songster
May 18, 2020
Wisconsin
Moving them to a new place a farm that already has chickens and a large coop that is sectioned in half for new chicks. My friend offered to keep them for me in the winter when I go south. I will bring my feeder and heated waterer. Not quite the set up I have but I'm sure they will survive. Looking for any suggestions that can be helpful.

A lot depends on the number of birds all together, the health of the birds, and the space and how it is set up.

If I read your post right, your flock will stay together in the half that she has for new chicks? Does that have its own run?

Disease is a real possibility, people have lost whole flocks, but if they look pretty healthy, and yours are pretty healthy, it would not be a game changer for me, but it is a real risk.

Moving them in the night, often times helps. If you are combining them with her flock, then hideouts, and multiple feeders help. But while chickens hate change, they do tend to get over it and adjust. They may go off laying for a day or too, but should be fine.

Mrs K

Moving them to a new place a farm that already has chickens and a large coop that is sectioned in half for new chicks. My friend offered to keep them for me in the winter when I go south. I will bring my feeder and heated waterer. Not quite the set up I have but I'm sure they will survive. Looking for any suggestions that can be helpful.
Has your friend had chickens for a couple few years?
Then they should know what is needed.

Back
Top Bottom