Moving outside!

onefeathershort

Chirping
May 7, 2021
Hello Crazy Bird Ladies and Gents. I am new to the flock so to speak and need your help. I have about 50 Cornish crosses I'm looking to move outside and I'm curious what your experiences are with weather - mainly cold. I am figuring to move them out around 3 weeks old - lows in the 50's. Should I be keeping a light/warmer in at night. Any tips or tricks for getting them ready to move outside?

50 should be able to cuddle and keep each other warm with temperatures on the rise if you are in the Northern hemisphere.
I might be tempted to put a brooder fixture in their outdoor housing with a ceramic heat emitter in perhaps the 100 or 150 watt range. Then observe their behavior. The ceramic emitters allow for a dark period at night.

I just moved my rangers out. They are 3 weeks old and have their wings and a few chest feathers. We had 40 degrees last night and they were totally fine with no supplemental heat. Their little bodies are super warm to the touch, so they probably just piled ontop of each other. I had about 10 out last night and took the another 10 out today.

I just moved my rangers out. They are 3 weeks old and have their wings and a few chest feathers. We had 40 degrees last night and they were totally fine with no supplemental heat. Their little bodies are super warm to the touch, so they probably just piled on top of each other. I had about 10 out last night and took the another 10 out today.
How long are you hoping to grow them out?

Back
Top Bottom