moving outside...

xanaxnation

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
my girls are only a week old, but i live in sacramento and its getting WARM already. should i keep them inside until theyre 4-6 weeks old regardless of how warm it is outside? or are they ok to go outside if its nice and warm? (and theyre in a secure coop) if i let them outside during the day, is a heating lamp sufficient at night, or should i bring them back inside?
thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Think about it: what temp do week old chicks need to be at in their brooder??? about 85-90 degrees. So if it's not 85-90 degrees outside, I wouldn't do it! I would wait a little longer. Of course, if you want to put them in their coop or whatever go ahead, and put a heat light out there for them. Just make sure you can maintain the heat they need/provide a heat source for them before you send them outside.

This week the temperatures in Texas have been 101-106 outside. My 3 week old chicks are panting from the heat inside the garage. I finally had to put a fan in there to get them some cool air. We are finishing up the pen this weekend and I'm hoping to move them outside.

If the outside pen is safe for them, then they should be fine. Make sure to have the heat lamp available at night, morning and evenings when it's cooler.

If you can provide a predator safe, draft-free enviroment for your chicks that is the correct temperature, that is to say 90-95 the first week, reducing by 5 degrees each week, then there is no reason why they can't be outside. My chicks have been outside since day one; first in a shed and now on our screened porch. Now @ 6 weeks our problem is similar to yours, the heat. I take them outside, under the trees for several hours during the hottest part of the day. Not much else is getting done while I supervise them, but they are loving it.

Back
Top Bottom