moving pullets from old coop to the new coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maine egg man, Aug 10, 2008.

1. maine egg man

maine egg man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    maine
    I will have the new coop done this week which will give the girls
    all 8 (for now) more room they where in a 4x8 coop now will have doulbe the space, what I was wondering is there old coop is about 10 feet away from there new one. I will leave them in the new one for a couple of days to get used to the new house. but I let them free range from time to time. will they try to go to the old coop to roost when it gets dark or will they go back to the new one. I will have the old one locked up just dont want them running in circles trying to get in, the new coop will also have a 16x8 run, also was thinking that I should just leave them there until I can get rid of the old (2 months) coop, the ladies are about 15 weeks so they should start laying 4-5 weeks so I been told from post I have read, any help would be great as I am new to this, and you folks have baled me out with answers many times ,BYC members are the best.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd suggest that you place them in the new house, get them used to the coop and run and after a couple weeks, let them out to free range and they will return fine.
    Oh, Hi from Oxford Hills! Good luck.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Spook is right. You should put them in the new coop and their outside access should be in their run for awhile. They will get use to their new home and when you do eventually let them out they will know to go back to their new home.

4. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Good suggestions about coop and run. Why get rid of you old coop? You may need it for MORE CHICKS, it could be your brooder coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by