Moving Quail Chicks to Cold Help

StuckPixel

Hatching
Mar 25, 2023
Question for the group. So my quail chicks are 3 weeks old. I am using a Hatching Time brooder that has a space heater style brooder heater.

They have been starting to acclimatize to room temp about 65 to 68 degrees and are doing just fine. They are brooding inside and I have been thinking of moving them into my shop due to the mess and smell. The low temperature will be between 28 to 35 degrees. My worry is that the brooder heater may not be able to keep up with the low temps. Has anyone done anything similar or have an opinion?

That's quite a low temperature to be moving them too. However, they're not far off fully feathered at that age so I'd consider letting them stay in a week longer, slowly acclimatizing them. When you do move them out, keep an eye on their behaviour. If they stay huddled together beneath the heat then it's too much for them.

How big is your brooder? Will you be moving it into you're shop or is the 'shop' going to be the 'new' brooder?
Is the shop too big to be heated, and is it insulated?

A heat lamp or a space heater would work to keep the temperature at a comfortable range.

How big is your brooder? Will you be moving it into you're shop or is the 'shop' going to be the 'new' brooder?
Is the shop too big to be heated, and is it insulated?

A heat lamp or a space heater would work to keep the temperature at a comfortable range.
The brooder will go into a loft in the shop. It is a HT brooder with a built in space heater style brooder heater. The brooder is on legs and elevated off the ground. The shop is fully enclosed and 20x30.

Back
Top Bottom